This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Internet Randomly Disconnecting, Please Help!

#1JirynPosted 9/21/2013 7:16:42 PM(edited)
Ok, since August 19th, my internet will randomly disconnect 2-3 times a day.

Usually around Noon-2pm EST, 5-7 EST, and 11-1am EST.
The disconnects last for a couple minutes, followed by incredibly slow connection for up to five minutes.

There have been a number of things I thought were suspect of causing this.

At first I thought it was do to our Cable Modem being seated upon an unshielded subwoofer so we moved it 3 ft.

Second I thought it was line integrity, so we replaced all the cords with shielded cat 6.

Nothing has seemed to work.. we finally broke down and called a technician who came out and changed the lines going to the house.
He then said it might be the cable modem itself, or the router, and that only the late night disconnects seem plausible due to line maintenance at the server center.

Onetime when the net had gone out for an extended period, we switched the modem to a direct connection to one of the desktops and the net was back up and running. However we cannot tell if it was because the router was causing the problem or because the net came back the moment we switched it.

We're running on the Time Warner 30mbps service on an Arris Cable Modem and Linksys E1500 Router with the newest drivers and firmware.

We have one hard wired desktop, and 10 Wireless devices connect from laptops to tablets and Roku boxes. The SSID is hidden, and we're using a WPA2 Security protocol

If you have any suggestions as to why we're losing the net regularly, please speak up.
I am totally baffled by this.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#2fataliPosted 9/21/2013 8:03:55 PM
Usually the problem with an internet connection is not the cables or or computer, but the provider or the router, I would think that when you switched the router to a direct connection you reset it, and that's why it started working again.

I would call the service provider and complain, 90% chance is that the problem is on their side, since they usually provide you with the router, that also falls under them.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#3Knight2520Posted 9/21/2013 8:05:25 PM
You've done everything to check except the router. Do that.
---
can u even count 30 in 1 second? no, u can't. so u can't tell difference between 30fps and 60fps. stupid. -Shinobier-
#4Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 8:34:54 PM
fatali posted...
Usually the problem with an internet connection is not the cables or or computer, but the provider or the router, I would think that when you switched the router to a direct connection you reset it, and that's why it started working again.

I would call the service provider and complain, 90% chance is that the problem is on their side, since they usually provide you with the router, that also falls under them.

We did, we had a technician come out here even.
I said that above, and they said they do maintenance between 11pm and 5am, but couldn't account for the rest.

I own the router and modem.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#5Incendia_IntusPosted 9/21/2013 8:54:21 PM
When I had Time Warner I had the same problem. It's their fault most likely, and has nothing to do with you. I'm using all the same equipment with my new ISP that I was with them, and I've had no problems at all.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#6Kokuei05Posted 9/21/2013 9:06:22 PM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/twc
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
#7Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 9:29:13 PM(edited)
Kokuei05 posted...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/twc

Any I should be specifically looking at?
Mine aren't as regular as the Random disconnect post there but do happen daily.
---
#8Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 9:33:19 PM
Incendia_Intus posted...
When I had Time Warner I had the same problem. It's their fault most likely, and has nothing to do with you. I'm using all the same equipment with my new ISP that I was with them, and I've had no problems at all.

The Equipment I'm using worked fine with Comcast, and even worked fine here since I moved in back in April.
August it all went to crap.
---