This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So steam box..........

#11FaPaThYPosted 9/21/2013 9:59:09 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
CatToy posted...
I think you're clearly not the target audience, and it's likely no one else on this forum is either.

I have hear this before. It don't make sense to me. Why would valve not target bringing their current user base to their new system? I mean a lot of people have steam, a lot of console players like myself have steam.

My guess is that valve will have some reason for for current pc steam users to come to their console. I just can't guess what that reason would be.

It makes perfect sense. They have no reason to target current users that already have gaming-capable PCs since the main point of Steam Box is to increase the potential user-base/amount of people buying games on Steam. The target audience are PC illiterates who think updating graphics card drivers once a month requires a degree in software engineering or don't know PCs can use controllers or be hooked up to a TV, etc.. aka. Your average console gamer.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#12lionheart5656Posted 9/21/2013 10:44:44 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
CatToy posted...
I think you're clearly not the target audience, and it's likely no one else on this forum is either.

I have hear this before. It don't make sense to me. Why would valve not target bringing their current user base to their new system? I mean a lot of people have steam, a lot of console players like myself have steam.

My guess is that valve will have some reason for for current pc steam users to come to their console. I just can't guess what that reason would be.

Because anyone who is on this board has more brains than the average console user.

We are already quite capable of double clicking the steam icon to get on steam or even having it load on start up like badasses.

Console peasants won't be able to handle it unless Steam literally does the double clicking for them.

Otherwise they will lose their minds trying to figure out at what speed they should double click.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#13WyzeGyePosted 9/21/2013 10:54:21 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
CatToy posted...

nintendo would not have sold nearly as many Wiis as they did by catering to their existing audience. they arguably made gaming more accessible, or at least fostered the idea that gaming is for everybody.

Valve is just broadening the horizon, because not until they dominate the living room will we see HL3.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#14_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/22/2013 3:50:01 AM(edited)
I think that Steam on your PC is the same idea as a Steambox, based on the descriptions that I have heard.

From what I gather, all a Steambox is, is a gaming PC that is marketed slightly differently so that casual gamers can easily recognize what it is and what it can do, to enable the PC platform to have the same mainstream accessibility as the consoles.

Lemur_H posted...
There is no point in bringing PC gamers to a weaker system. Valve is looking to expand its customer base.

This. The idea is to bring Steam to more people than the ones who have it currently installed on their gaming PC's. Possibly, it is to take some market share from the consoles by making the PC more attractive and offering a PC perhaps in console format (not physically, but in the way people think about it).
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#15betatechPosted 9/22/2013 4:12:26 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
This. The idea is to bring Steam to more people than the ones who have it currently installed on their gaming PC's. Possibly, it is to take some market share from the consoles by making the PC more attractive and offering a PC perhaps in console format (not physically, but in the way people think about it).

This is what I'm thinking as well, it could also make PCs more attractive to publishers because they'll probably Taylor games to match this console (this could be both good and bad).

The PS4 is only losing $60 per console sold so for a little bit more they could potentially make a profitable system especially if it's running an embedded OS so not as much power is needed and unlike the PS4 Valve probably wouldn't reserve cores for use by the OS.

Of course, another issue is whether a steambox would be 'open' or not. If they allow you the option to use it as a normal desktop one possibility is that they may use it in marketing ("why buy just a games console?"). Plus unlike OOS on the PS3 a steambox would be x86 based and reasonably powerful to be usable by most people.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.