This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Something has gone wrong with my rig

#1darkmaian23Posted 9/21/2013 10:54:37 PM
My computer reboots five seconds after I press the power button and continuously reboots until I unplug it. When I can cool it off enough to get a full boot, it says "over clocking failed", even though I've never done that and even checked to make sure nothing strange was set in the BIOS.

When cooled enough to get to the error screen, a check of the BIOS reveals normal CPU temperature. The computer is a three year old custom rig running an i7 with stock cooling. I've had no trouble before and was using it minutes before the problems started. I did move it, recently but the fans all appear to be functioning normally and at full speed.

Is it the CPU, motherboard, or something else? It takes a house fan on max setting pointed at the side and roughly 30 minutes between tries to get to the BIOS and error screen.
#2PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/21/2013 11:40:23 PM
What specific motherboard do you have?
---
Fear is a leash.
#3fataliPosted 9/21/2013 11:41:47 PM
I had a similar problem once, turned out to be the memory that was causing an error in the bios.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 11:48:07 PM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
What specific motherboard do you have?

It is an Asus P8P67 Pro.
#5darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 11:49:00 PM
fatali posted...
I had a similar problem once, turned out to be the memory that was causing an error in the bios.

How did you determine that?
#6AsellusPosted 9/21/2013 11:49:04 PM
Try a CMOS reset?
#7darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 12:52:28 PM
Asellus posted...
Try a CMOS reset?

No effect. But thanks for the suggestion.
#8steveboblarryPosted 9/22/2013 12:53:59 PM
darkmaian23 posted...
My computer reboots five seconds after I press the power button and continuously reboots until I unplug it. When I can cool it off enough to get a full boot, it says "over clocking failed", even though I've never done that and even checked to make sure nothing strange was set in the BIOS.

When cooled enough to get to the error screen, a check of the BIOS reveals normal CPU temperature. The computer is a three year old custom rig running an i7 with stock cooling. I've had no trouble before and was using it minutes before the problems started. I did move it, recently but the fans all appear to be functioning normally and at full speed.

Is it the CPU, motherboard, or something else? It takes a house fan on max setting pointed at the side and roughly 30 minutes between tries to get to the BIOS and error screen.

Its most likely the psu
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#9darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 1:19:02 PM
steveboblarry posted...
darkmaian23 posted...

Its most likely the psu

How can I tell if that's it?
#10BowsaaPosted 9/22/2013 1:23:55 PM
Unplug the PSU and turn the computer on. If it doesn't do the reboot loop, it's the PSU.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000