This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ISP Providers

#1Hard_WiredPosted 9/22/2013 7:44:53 AM
Got a question for everyone here.

I'm in the US, so this may not apply to everyone, but I want to know what you all think because I think I'm getting a bum deal and want a better service for what I am paying.

I am currently paying about $50/month for DSL internet service.

The service claims 3 MB download speeds, I'm only getting at the most, 300kbps download speeds.
I'm sick of their false advertising and they keep claiming that it's not going to get any faster for me.
Either they don't want to provide good service (which I consider a ripoff for what I am paying), or their service is just complete and total incompetence.

Calling their customer service line as a struggle in futility.
I know because I've tried and was met with stupidity beyond belief.
They don't want to answer your questions and give you the run around to people who don't want to give you answers, they only want to fix "problems" that you don't have.
Is this the garbage we have to deal with in today's world?

Does anyone know of a better ISP that is not Comcast, Century Link, or AT&T?
Or are we (the normal citizenry) all subjected to mafia style extortion rates for poor non existent services?
You know those big three ISPs are advertising introductory rates far below what I am paying, and even after their starting rates are over, their standard rates are still lower than what I am paying, and yet I'm not getting any better service or speed for $50/month.

Am I getting ripped off or am I a spoiled fatbad that should be happy to waste $50/month on 300kbps download speeds?
Are you all getting better service than me?
I'm willing to spend $75 a month if I get good service, but I can't find any good ISPs at all in my area without creating my own ISP for myself, which is not happening.

Is there anything else I am missing? Let me know.
---
PSN: Final_ARC
LIVE: NegativeNinety9
#2Lonestar2000Posted 9/22/2013 7:55:38 AM
You have to take the speed your ISP claims and divide it by 8 to get the real speed. In your case the max you would get is 375 kbps.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#3DetectivPenguinPosted 9/22/2013 8:00:17 AM
PIN numbers.
---
Interested in finance and the stock market?Want to have a gamefaqs board on it? Sign my site petition here:
www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/66852152
#4reincarnator07Posted 9/22/2013 8:02:01 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
You have to take the speed your ISP claims and divide it by 8 to get the real speed. In your case the max you would get is 375 kbps.

To clarify: Most ISPs measure their speeds in MegaBITs (Mbps) while most downloads on sites like Steam are measured in MegaBYTEs (MB/s). You're actually getting pretty close to your advertised speeds, which is more than most can say.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#5JudgmenlPosted 9/22/2013 8:03:26 AM
TC made a joke of himself.

Fair. Next.
---
`1337_FF_GoD` - Popularity =/= Quality.
I just want to find my Misaki.
#6CaspernomnomPosted 9/22/2013 8:05:17 AM
In the same boat as you have had the same internet for almost 10 years now still 6 meg down .3 up and goes out constantly paying 50+$ a month which is complete trash no other providers service my area. Across the road they have time warner. They wont even service my house -.- so pretty much screwed untill I move. Yay internet
#7LordSeiferPosted 9/22/2013 8:09:32 AM
if they can get it across the road im sure you probably can, hell just ask your neighbor to use his wifi

Internet Service Providers Providers
---
^ this
#8xKynOxPosted 9/22/2013 8:36:45 AM
you're getting what you pay for,8 bits=1 byte
#9lionheart5656Posted 9/22/2013 8:39:39 AM
Megabits is not the same as megabytes you peasant TC.

Try learning to read before you agree to pay for a service.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#10ATARIJAWAPosted 9/22/2013 10:04:15 AM
What backwards hickville do you live in to get such a slow speed for $50.00 a month? I seriously could not live in a place that doesn't have access to fast internet.

I pay $9.99 a month for this :

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2984446333

it's 9.99 because it's bundled with my cable. Normally it's 29.99 a month. There's no data cap either.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105