This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ISP Providers

#31JonWood007Posted 9/22/2013 3:19:13 PM
Gojak_v3 posted...
CC Ricers posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
Most of these "ISP's" lease their broadband from the major providers and then throttle the connection when they get close to that cap. Get yer milk directly from the cow I say. It's why I never had a problem with Comcast.

I'm getting conflicting opinions about Comcast and the other "big guys".

ISP quality must be wildly inconsistent across US metro areas.

It really is. The US has major infrastructure problems compared to other western nations.

And different standards companies are held accountable to.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#32Super_Thug44Posted 9/22/2013 3:30:33 PM
lionheart5656 posted...
Maybe you should stop being a tool and encouraging idiots to stay idiots.

We have this amazing thing called Google or Yahoo even Bing. WOW. So much to choose from.

All of these AND MORE would have resolved his r***** issue in about 10 seconds while also not spreading false information based on his complete lack of knowledge.

"BOO HOO. I'm being cheated because I don't know what I bought!"

It's crazy how many of you encourage stupid people to stay stupid.

Damn what is your problem? The TC was griping and wanted to know if he was being swindled. Usually when people do this, they are either being a whiny brat or just don't know any better. TC just didn't know any better. There is a reason forums like this exist. To ask questions. If he already knew the answer he wouldn't be asking. Stop looking like a giant ass. I hope you're not like this off the internet.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2Q46wvY.png
Currently watching: Breaking Bad, Fringe
#33NicodimusPosted 9/22/2013 3:36:53 PM
This topic is now about your favorite kind of pie.

I'll start: Peanut butter cream
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#34KillerTrufflePosted 9/22/2013 3:37:55 PM
CC Ricers posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
Most of these "ISP's" lease their broadband from the major providers and then throttle the connection when they get close to that cap. Get yer milk directly from the cow I say. It's why I never had a problem with Comcast.

I used to have AT&T DSL. AT&T is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with or could ever imagine dealing with, but they were the only broadband option here for years. Comcast moved into the area about a year or so ago. I'm now with Comcast. Things have been MUCH better. Comcast still sucks and has its issues, but it's a saint compared to AT&T.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#35CC RicersPosted 9/22/2013 3:46:19 PM
My ISP history has been:

AOL - '97 to some time in early 2000s
SBC/Yahoo - early 2000s to 2008
AT&T - 2008-2011
Clearwire - 2011-present

I paid $40 a month for 1.5mbps with AT&T and $35 a month with Clear for about the same speeds. I may go to Comcast just for the faster speeds. What's your plan with them? I'm still deciding between Performance and Blast plans... Blast is $5 more than what I pay now but Performance also looks a lot faster (25mbps versus 2mbps)
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#36KillerTrufflePosted 9/22/2013 3:51:55 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
CC Ricers posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...

It really is. The US has major infrastructure problems compared to other western nations.

And different standards companies are held accountable to.

American ISPs are held accountable? To who? They operate a shared monopoly - to the extent they actually tend to divvy up regions as "exclusive zones" - areas where their supposed competitors will not actually move in to compete. This saves all of the large providers money since they don't have to upgrade their infrastructure, and lets them effectively set whatever price they want, since they know you can't go anywhere else for service. They also pretty much dominate the infrastructure hardware (cable lines, phone lines, etc.), which makes it hard - often impossible - for small ISPs to compete, since they tend to charge outrageous usage fees to the small companies.

There is effectively no regulation or oversight on ISPs in the US, and the end result is that we have one of the worst broadband infrastructures of any developed country.

Cell service suffers many of the same issues, even tho the FCC supposedly regulates them somewhat.
---
#37KillerTrufflePosted 9/22/2013 3:53:53 PM
CC Ricers posted...
My ISP history has been:

AT&T - 2008-2011
Clearwire - 2011-present

I paid $40 a month for 1.5mbps with AT&T and $35 a month with Clear for about the same speeds. I may go to Comcast just for the faster speeds. What's your plan with them? I'm still deciding between Performance and Blast plans... Blast is $5 more than what I pay now but Performance also looks a lot faster (25mbps versus 2mbps)

I don't recall the name of the plan, but it's the 15 Mbit plan, and I actually often see speeds closer to 20 Mbit. They're pricy in my area - I think I'm paying around $40/month or so (intro period was $25/month).
---
#38CC RicersPosted 9/22/2013 3:56:38 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
CC Ricers posted...
My ISP history has been:

AT&T - 2008-2011
Clearwire - 2011-present

I don't recall the name of the plan, but it's the 15 Mbit plan, and I actually often see speeds closer to 20 Mbit. They're pricy in my area - I think I'm paying around $40/month or so (intro period was $25/month).

$40 is pricey to you? Wow, I really feel ripped off now :<

The Blast plan is advertised to be 50mbps and that's $40. Performance is 25mbps at $30, but they're introductory rates, so I'll probably get the Performance one. Anything to make all these Steam downloads go faster.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!