The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC gaming is closing gaps with consoles

#1IloveslimesOMGPosted 9/22/2013 9:47:22 AM
Now that next gen consoles are mid-range PC with X86 architecture there's absolutely nothing behind exclusives that makes them better... If PCs had more fighting games and Jrpgs games I wouldn't even think of touching a console ... :(
---
When xbox servers shut down, XBONED appears on your screen,your Xbox grows legs and arms,punches your mother in the gut,and steals a beer on the way out
#2knightimexPosted 9/22/2013 10:06:30 AM
If I was a dev, PC would be the last place I'd port to.

With mass piracy, and everyone ignoring a game until it's $5, PC doesn't exactly excite me.
---
Games I'm currently playing: Star Ocean 2 (Ps1), Legend of Zelda OoT (N64).
#3BowsaaPosted 9/22/2013 10:09:18 AM
knightimex posted...

With mass piracy, and everyone ignoring a game until it's $5, PC doesn't exactly excite me.

2/10
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#4bruno1983brPosted 9/22/2013 10:10:59 AM
What gaps??
#5ThePCElitistPosted 9/22/2013 10:13:39 AM
Bowsaa posted...
knightimex posted...

2/10

Because pch is the proper representation of every PC gamer. Only a small amount of PC gamers wait for $5 sales. If nobody bought games full price then there would be less games available as the market would be non-existent.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#6knightimexPosted 9/22/2013 10:16:29 AM
Bowsaa posted...
knightimex posted...

2/10

It's 100% true.

Everyone brags about how much cheaper PC games are, that's if you're willing to pay for it.
---
Games I'm currently playing: Star Ocean 2 (Ps1), Legend of Zelda OoT (N64).
#7ShebeskiiPosted 9/22/2013 10:26:22 AM
knightimex posted...
Bowsaa posted...
knightimex posted...

2/10

It's 100% true.

Everyone brags about how much cheaper PC games are, that's if you're willing to pay for it.

I buy games brand new all the time. I am a PC exclusive gamer. I ALSO BUY GAMES CHEAP.

It's called choices you tool.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#8RequiemPosted 9/22/2013 10:26:33 AM
It's also simpler to develop for a console system than a PC since the developers know exactly the machine they're dealing with (including the quirks and limitations) instead of having to be able to deal with thousands of possible combination of parts (from high end to low end). Add to the fact that consoles probably has a larger consumer base, it's a no brainer for an established developer.

The only exception would be for an indie developer, since they won't have to deal with royalties and regulations/rules/certifications with the console system developers like MS, Sony, Nintendo, etc etc.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#9Bazooka_PenguinPosted 9/22/2013 10:35:51 AM
Requiem posted...
It's also simpler to develop for a console system than a PC since the developers know exactly the machine they're dealing with (including the quirks and limitations) instead of having to be able to deal with thousands of possible combination of parts (from high end to low end). Add to the fact that consoles probably has a larger consumer base, it's a no brainer for an established developer.

The only exception would be for an indie developer, since they won't have to deal with royalties and regulations/rules/certifications with the console system developers like MS, Sony, Nintendo, etc etc.

This comes up quite often but it's untrue. Developers don't target specific hardware configurations at all. They develop for APIs like DirectX and OpenGL (actually the same with most console games). And as far as CPUs go, CPUs all use standardized instruction sets so developers don't have to specifically target hardware either.

If developers really accounted for every single hardware configuration then performance would be all over the place, but it's not. Performance scales tends to scale in a very obvious and/or consistent manner between hardware setups and it's because of standardized APIs and instruction sets.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#10Snuckie7Posted 9/22/2013 10:45:10 AM
What if I told you, that cheap games on sale actually generate more revenue for the developers?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W