This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC gaming is closing gaps with consoles

#31The cranky hermitPosted 9/22/2013 7:28:05 PM
The console version of this is going to gamestop and buying something used, except their used prices are damn near the same as the new, and none of that money gets to the developers.

You seem to be forgetting that every single "used copy" was originally bought new. When the devs sold it new, they also sold the right to resell the copy. If that right is worth anything, then it is (or ought to be) factored into the price of the new copy.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#32arleasPosted 9/22/2013 7:33:42 PM
You seem to be forgetting

I'm not forgetting...I don't care about it. The developers care about it though and that's why they were trying so hard to prevent used copies from being just as good as new (online passes and whatever). It seems video games are the only area where this is an issue though since I know they've sold used books and used movies for years.

If that right is worth anything, then it is (or ought to be) factored into the price of the new copy.

Ok, so then maybe that's why they stay high priced for so long...
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#33king_maddenPosted 9/22/2013 7:41:58 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
What if I told you, that cheap games on sale actually generate more revenue for the developers?

Then I would ask you to clarify - more revenue than what? I very much doubt, for instance, that you could identify a cheap game on sale which has generated revenue comparable to GTA V.

console gamers obviously dont care about whatever advantages pc gamers feel they have just like pc gamers shouldnt care. they both have their positives and negatives, there is no clear cut winner, its all personal opinion.

When discussing multiplatform games, PC as a platform is the clear cut winner. This is not personal opinion - this is a fact that cannot be disputed without regurgitating the usual misinformation. Anyone insisting there are "pros and cons" is deluding themselves to justify the investment in the console that they've bought or decided to buy.

The informed gamer picks PC as a main platform. The only reasons to even bother with consoles would be exclusives, online community, and the occasional multiplatform game with local multiplayer options cut from PC port (which are pretty rare in this online-focused console generation and likely to be rarer in the next).

^see, thats the problem right there.

they feel "well just compare this one game to this one game and its a clear winner. but everyone knows its not about just one game, choosing a platform is taking a bunch of factors into account.

i wont rock your pedestal though, you built it, you sit on it for as long as you want, go ahead, sit on it.
#34Snuckie7Posted 9/22/2013 9:45:54 PM
What if I told you, that cheap games on sale actually generate more revenue for the developers?

Then I would ask you to clarify - more revenue than what? I very much doubt, for instance, that you could identify a cheap game on sale which has generated revenue comparable to GTA V.

More revenue than if that same game were at $60. E.g. A GTA V at $5 will make more money than a GTA V at $60.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#35Giblet_EnjoyerPosted 9/22/2013 9:58:12 PM
Snuckie7 posted...

More revenue than if that same game were at $60. E.g. A GTA V at $5 will make more money than a GTA V at $60.

Yup, this has been confirmed by Lord Gaben himself.

However, a $60 GTA V AND a $5 GTA V (at a later date obv) will most definitely make more money than either one alone. And here we are.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/katanaman444
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
#36king_maddenPosted 9/22/2013 10:17:18 PM
Snuckie7 posted...

False
#37wdfosterPosted 9/22/2013 10:18:04 PM
If I were a developer, I would rather have my game go for 5 bucks during summer sale than have my game sold time after time after time after time at gamestop without seeing a penny in return.

Seems a lot like 6 one way and half a dozen to the other.

But, I'd still rather sell my own game over a digital distribution service for cheap then have some middle-man retailer sell my game a dozen times over the life of that one disc.
---
Steam ID - Madmartigan
#38king_maddenPosted 9/22/2013 10:29:25 PM
wdfoster posted...
If I were a developer, I would rather have my game go for 5 bucks during summer sale than have my game sold time after time after time after time at gamestop without seeing a penny in return.

But, I'd still rather sell my own game over a digital distribution service for cheap then have some middle-man retailer sell my game a dozen times over the life of that one disc.

I would go the physical route, if the choice is a $5 digital or $60 physical, I'm bound to make more going physical, unless my game is dreadful.
#39DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/22/2013 10:53:45 PM
king_madden posted...
wdfoster posted...

I would go the physical route, if the choice is a $5 digital or $60 physical, I'm bound to make more going physical, unless my game is dreadful.

Actually, it's about $20 per new game sold.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#40Flaktrooper123Posted 9/22/2013 10:55:32 PM
I don't think I ever paid a $5 games, due to my banking limitation. I prefer going to EB and the like and get a physical copy anyway and I still somehow distrust online transaction.

Blah, I don't think consoles can ever close that gap, no matter how small. Once you buy a console, that is as much hardware you are going to put up with for as long as the console generation last. Outside buying some custom controllers, there is not much room for upgrade. The only time consoles can ever close the gap is when the consoles turn into PC themselves.