This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC gaming is closing gaps with consoles

#51The cranky hermitPosted 9/23/2013 8:33:33 PM
I'm not forgetting...I don't care about it.

Same thing. Either way, you are failing to account for this fact, and your conclusion is invalid because of it.

^see, thats the problem right there.
they feel "well just compare this one game to this one game and its a clear winner. but everyone knows its not about just one game, choosing a platform is taking a bunch of factors into account.

But I'm not comparing "this one game to this one game." With damn few exceptions, the PC version of multiplatform games is ALWAYS the best.

More revenue than if that same game were at $60. E.g. A GTA V at $5 will make more money than a GTA V at $60.

Then I would ask you to prove it.

If I were a developer, I would rather have my game go for 5 bucks during summer sale than have my game sold time after time after time after time at gamestop without seeing a penny in return.

Just how many times do you think a copy of a game gets sold? Every single $60 copy of your game would have to be resold 11 times before you get less than $5 for each one. That's 11 used sales for EVERY SINGLE COPY. Realistically, most copies won't even get resold once.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#52Snuckie7Posted 9/23/2013 8:42:21 PM
http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell/

Summary: Sales = more revenue, not less.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#53DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/23/2013 8:53:40 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Summary: Sales = more revenue, not less.

True but full price for the impatient + sales in a couple months at say 66% off then in another couple months 50% off and so on = most moola!

Also with a title as saturated as GTA5, I think the 60 dollar retail (even if only 30 dollars worth of revenue) is netting them more overall than going straight to 5 dollars would. There's just too many being sold to have the 40x the customers buying it on sale. Everyone that really wants it is buying it at full price without any complaints.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#54king_maddenPosted 9/23/2013 9:34:18 PM
@The cranky hermit

again its not just about the game itself, there are many factors when choosing a platform.

most people dont care about 60fps, or a game that might look slightly better on something else, before this gen I never even heard of fps talked about when getting games.

like personally my pc has to be at a desk for my RTS games, so because some other multiplatform games might play or look better is of no concern to me because im not going to want to play them at the desk most of the time. or multiplayer games, I could careless if they look or play better on pc, if my friends cant come play it with me or I cant take it to one of their houses and play.

its not worth it, the cons outweigh the pros of pc gaming for me.
#55SenkoyPosted 9/23/2013 10:28:10 PM
I'm one of those guys who waits for games to be $5 on PC and I honestly can't believe anyone would pay full price for a game they don't really own (you can't sell it, you can't lend it, I think you can't even pay some games while offline, never tried).

If I really want a game, I'll buy it on console since I'll actually own it, but if it's for PC I wait for it to be $5 or on a humble bundle and don't buy it until then.
---
My fight stick: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2687/sdc10110k.jpg
My team combos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoD7BvGUOE
#56DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/23/2013 10:38:45 PM
king_madden posted...
@The cranky hermit

again its not just about the game itself, there are many factors when choosing a platform.

most people dont care about 60fps, or a game that might look slightly better on something else, before this gen I never even heard of fps talked about when getting games.

like personally my pc has to be at a desk for my RTS games, so because some other multiplatform games might play or look better is of no concern to me because im not going to want to play them at the desk most of the time. or multiplayer games, I could careless if they look or play better on pc, if my friends cant come play it with me or I cant take it to one of their houses and play.

Hook up a SFF PC in your livingroom?
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#57king_maddenPosted 9/23/2013 10:44:35 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
king_madden posted...
@The cranky hermit

Hook up a SFF PC in your livingroom?

whats that?
#58Bazooka_PenguinPosted 9/23/2013 11:00:20 PM
Basics economics. Demand changes at different prices. The goal of businesses is to maximize profits for a market and with a digital distribution system that theoretically doesn't have limited supply means maximizing demand. The brilliance behind Steam and Steam sales is that it, very easily, allows Valve to changes prices to match demands. The people who are willing to buy a game at $60 will buy it at that price, and then a few months later a sale will go out for 25% off, the people who are willing to buy the game at $45 will buy then, and so forth until demand at all viable price segments have been met. If Valve could get away with it they'd probably try to show everyone different prices at the same time depending on their buying habits.

The idea of Steam isn't to just make everything cheap, that would be incredibly inefficient. The idea of Steam is to offer a variety of prices. It's price-matching.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#59BlueRamzaPosted 9/23/2013 11:07:10 PM
Considering the latest consoles are trying to copy the PC, this is correct.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#60synthetiksinPosted 9/23/2013 11:14:44 PM
Because you totally can pirate games with steam, amirite?

Personally, I love the idea. I have a ****ton of games on my steam list, now it's like having a crossbuy option for both PC and console WITHOUT having to restart my list.

king_madden posted...
they feel "well just compare this one game to this one game and its a clear winner. but everyone knows its not about just one game, choosing a platform is taking a bunch of factors into account.

i wont rock your pedestal though, you built it, you sit on it for as long as you want, go ahead, sit on it.

Quite possibly one of the stupidest things I've read all week.