This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people say PC gaming is too expensive?

#11_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/22/2013 10:31:19 AM
It really depends on the person. Even when I would not game on the PC I think I would always have a capable "multimedia" PC. Which basically means I would have close to the same specs but without any real gaming GPU.

Also, it depends on how many different games you tend to buy. If you are one of those people that is into a new game every week, then the Steam sales are a great benefit and reduce the overall cost of gaming like that a lot. If you are someone who tends to stick with just 2 or 3 titles throughout the year it is less of a factor.

Though to be honest, the initial investment you need to make to get into PC gaming is larger most of the time. Though over the years, especially if you gradually upgrade or reuse some components on future builds, it starts to become a lot more comparable.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#12g7g7g7g7Posted 9/22/2013 10:35:36 AM
ATARIJAWA posted...
Just write it off your taxes. That's what I do.

I've always been afraid of putting a 300+ video card and a 1440p monitor on my VAT return, it seems like something they should pick up on, considering I run a cafe.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#13SinisterSlayPosted 9/22/2013 11:01:21 AM
dontcallmeal posted...
I tell myself I can only spend 100$ a month on games. But with Steam deals that goes a LONG way.

I only make one major PC upgrade a year. And that's more than enougn to run the latest games on max with no hiccups.

I don't get it. I spent a lot more money back when I exclusively used consoles.

I don't know, I haven't spent a penny since 2009, where I built my whole system for 400 dollars.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/67306819
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14r3sonancePosted 9/22/2013 11:26:01 AM
Start Up Fee is expensive assuming you're starting from scratch its probably gonna be 750 - 1200 (thats my rough estimate) you can probably go lower but.. thats a whole other story.

Yes LONG term is going to be cheaper if you buy a lot of games, but one question I always ask people are you really going to play that game or are you just getting it because its on sale and cheap on steam? Hell I probably spent like 50 - 100 dollars on games i bought and never touched, im sure there are other people on this board that have the same problem as me.
#15BowsaaPosted 9/22/2013 11:28:05 AM
r3sonance posted...
Start Up Fee is expensive assuming you're starting from scratch its probably gonna be 750 - 1200 (thats my rough estimate) you can probably go lower but.. thats a whole other story.

That depends on whether or not you can reuse anything. If you need tower+KB/M+OS+monitor, yes it'll be expensive. If you can reuse an HDD+OS and Monitor, you can easily get a nice tower for ~$550-600. With an OS, maybe $650.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#16Dark_SpiretPosted 9/22/2013 11:36:22 AM
because people see the initial cost of a "gaming pc" and think thats all there is to it.
---
Currently playing: Shadow Warrior Redux - Parasite Eve 2
#17TheMisfitPosted 9/22/2013 11:43:30 AM(edited)
g7g7g7g7 posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...
Just write it off your taxes. That's what I do.

I've always been afraid of putting a 300+ video card and a 1440p monitor on my VAT return, it seems like something they should pick up on, considering I run a cafe.

Doesn't matter, I go over these things with my accountant and it's legal, as long as the computer is used for your business in some way and honestly, most home computers are (even just business research). It can all just be summarized under computer performance and upgrading. Just like you can't be penalized for using more expensive pens or running your air conditioning a few degrees cooler using a thermostat with better features that your typical one. It's your preference.

However a gaming console...try explaining that to the IRS.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#18Digital StormPosted 9/22/2013 11:59:46 AM
Too expensive? Not really, I just spent $600 on a Wii U and accessories. With a hundred or so more I could have bought another gaming PC.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#19badboyPosted 9/22/2013 12:02:26 PM
poor + ignorant = console peasant
#20MrMonkhousePosted 9/22/2013 12:02:47 PM
steveboblarry posted...
The start up cost can be expensive, compared to consoles

Pretty much this. People usually spend $800+ to build a gaming rig that can play most games on high. But after that, its just upgrades every other 3-4 years mainly GPU and CPU.
---
http://i.imgur.com/r9pppzV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif