This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which is the better monitor?

#11steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:21:20 AM
Garquille14 posted...
1080p 120hz with 10ms display lag
vs.
1440p 60hz with 26ms display lag

Yea so the BenQ right?
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#12GarquillPosted 9/22/2013 11:23:32 AM
aak57 posted...
you will likely not really notice the effect of 120Hz in most games.

if you're a potato

other than the large addition of smoothness when anything is moving fast, or your camera is moving fast, it also has a large effect on screen tearing, meaning you don't need to use vsync (which adds even more display lag) to combat screen tearing if it bothers you that much
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#13steveboblarry(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:24:29 AM
All these specs are confusing >.> I dont want screen tearing so the BenQ is better right
---
Drake the type of dude who understands were Skylar is coming from in Breaking Bad
#14aak57Posted 9/22/2013 11:25:38 AM
Garquille14 posted...
aak57 posted...

if you're a potato

other than the large addition of smoothness when anything is moving fast, or your camera is moving fast, it also has a large effect on screen tearing, meaning you don't need to use vsync (which adds even more display lag) to combat screen tearing if it bothers you that much

I'll grant you the screen tearing, but your other reasoning reflects what I already said: good for fast games. Most games are not fast. Like I said, I have both and love the 120Hz monitor for CSGO and such, but 1440p >>> 120Hz in something like Bioshock Infinite or Amnesia.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#15ShebeskiiPosted 9/22/2013 12:57:05 PM
aak57 posted...
Garquille14 posted...
aak57 posted...

if you're a potato

I'll grant you the screen tearing, but your other reasoning reflects what I already said: good for fast games. Most games are not fast. Like I said, I have both and love the 120Hz monitor for CSGO and such, but 1440p >>> 120Hz in something like Bioshock Infinite or Amnesia.

This is what I feel the problem.

A 1440p display will look better for 95% of games out there and still be incredibly playable.

A 144Hz monitor will help with screen tear, which would increase image quality, but it's a much lower resolution with worse image quality in every other aspect.

If I just played SC2, CS:GO, BF, COD etc. the 144Hz panel would be a no brainer, but I don't, and I enjoy ALL games looking amazing.

There's also the fact that, unless you have crazy good hardware, 1080p at 120-144FPS is harder to power than 1440p at 60FPS by a LARGE margin.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#16GarquillPosted 9/22/2013 2:06:41 PM(edited)
aak57 posted...
good for fast games. Most games are not fast.

the choppiness of moving any first person camera for me at 60fps is noticeable and doesn't need to be a fast-paced game (unless it has a ton of motion blur)

just saying the difference is there whether you're in Quake or Elder Scrolls, and is something that for me isn't replaceable with more pixels that result in something very similar to just using AA

if you're fine with 60fps in Elder Scrolls or Bioshock then that's awesome, and I'm a bit envious
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#17TheFeshPincePosted 9/22/2013 2:09:16 PM(edited)
If you want a 24" 144hz monitor, get the Asus VG248QE. It's a lot cheaper and looks amazing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#18Lemur_HPosted 9/22/2013 2:24:11 PM
Shebeskii posted...
This is what I feel the problem.

A 1440p display will look better for 95% of games out there and still be incredibly playable.

A 144Hz monitor will help with screen tear, which would increase image quality, but it's a much lower resolution with worse image quality in every other aspect.

If I just played SC2, CS:GO, BF, COD etc. the 144Hz panel would be a no brainer, but I don't, and I enjoy ALL games looking amazing.

There's also the fact that, unless you have crazy good hardware, 1080p at 120-144FPS is harder to power than 1440p at 60FPS by a LARGE margin.

Convincing me to give up my 120Hz after I get a new card.
#19SlaynPosted 9/22/2013 2:25:56 PM
Why not get a Korean 1440p monitor off ebay for $300? I got to 120hz right out the box.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.