This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm getting really ****Ing tired of my computer freezing up randomly. Why?

#1ARMEDnPISSEDPosted 9/22/2013 9:50:29 AM
I had to get a new video card (GTX 760) about a month and a half ago after my GTX 570 decided to die on me. Ever since I've gotten it, I've been getting completely random freezes every few days or so, where everything freezes up and my screens turn black. It would occasionally recover saying that the NVIDIA kernel driver or whatever has crashed and recovered but that hasn't happened for the past month or so.

I was using the 320.49 drivers but now I'm on 326.41 but it hasn't fixed anything. There are no performance issues I'm having with my video card and the temperatures are fine. No overclocking at all done to it.

I keep my computer running 24/7 and I can say this happens after it's been "on" for more than 24 hours (after I have to hold the power button to restart it) and I'm getting really sick of losing the work I've been doing at the exact moment it freezes up.

Short of sending it in to EVGA for a replacement, does anyone know why this is happening?
---
I'm a signature virus. Please add me to your signature and help me spread!
#2HydroCannabinolPosted 9/22/2013 9:53:14 AM
Either software or hardware. >:P

It's possible the card itself is having issues which is causing the drivers to crash. The only other thing would be to install different drivers but the drivers you have should be fine, especially with such a popular card.

It's hard to test since you say it's so intermittent. It could be conflicting with other software as well.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#3AsucaHayashiPosted 9/22/2013 9:55:40 AM
take your gpu out and use the onboard for a day.

if nothing happens then you know it's the card.

if it's a software issue then do a reformat if you really want to be sure.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#4HydroCannabinolPosted 9/22/2013 10:00:59 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
take your gpu out and use the onboard for a day.

if nothing happens then you know it's the card.

if it's a software issue then do a reformat if you really want to be sure.

Well if the Nvidia kernel is crashing, obviously the iGPU won't have an issue with that.. -_-;;
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#5Kokuei05Posted 9/22/2013 10:02:20 AM
Nvidia = FINISHED
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
#6fataliPosted 9/22/2013 10:04:24 AM
When installing the nvidia drivers there's an option to make a clean install, this deletes every trace of the previous drivers and installs the new, it could be worth the try.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#7JKatarnPosted 9/22/2013 10:10:13 AM
I'd recommend using earlier drivers, I'm finding 314.22 to be the most stable, but given the newness of your card I don't think you could use earlier drivers.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES