This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Finally got around to this, as promised, pictures of my frankenstein

#1SinisterSlayPosted 9/22/2013 11:38:58 AM(edited)
These pictures might explain why I can't overclock anymore :D
I apologize for the quality of the photos, I only have my old cell phone camera.

This is the side fan, only 2 years of dust.
http://i.imgur.com/AA5SNtl.jpg

Here is the inside.
http://i.imgur.com/LRNLetB.jpg
There are 3 mismatched sticks of RAM
The CPU heatsink is solid dust, you can't see the metal gills anymore. It's a grey clump under a fan.

From the top down:
First that's my 9600gt, completely caked in dust.
Next down is a RAID card, functioning as an expansion to the IDE plugs to run the two old CD drives seen in the previous image. The ribbon cables are looped around the video card.
Below that, another video card, this is a PCI video card, a 1997 ATI Rage 1 card that I use to output to an old COAX TV in my bedroom. It fried 2 years ago but I never bothered to pull it out.
And finally, the sound card, an old Soundblaster Live 24bit

On the right, you can see the two ancient IDE hard drives stacked on each other, this is because the 9600 sticks into the hard drive bays.
The top drive is a 120gb seagate from 2003. I should send it back to them to put it in a museam.
The second drive is a 320gb seagate from 2005.
Speedfan reports both at 90% fitness and 90% performance, no bad clusters, no read or write errors.

If you look at the power cables, you can see most have been spliced over and over to power the fans and the drives. There are more on the back side of the board not visible in the picture. They have all broken now so none of the lights on the front of the case work.

Amazingly, I actually bothered to twist tie some of the cables to keep them out of the CPU fan.
The two fans at the rear, the one on the bottom does not work, the one on the top barely works.
Far as I can tell, the power supply fan works perfectly.
Some of the cables were known to come apart, causing some spectacular light shows as stuff sparked inside the case and shut it down. That's why there is tape around the plugs.

Two slots are open in the back of the case for air flow, since all the actual airflow vents are plugged up.

I think the only salvageable item in this build is the power supply, maybe the sound card but it has no real use in a modern system.

I know I can't get into that hall of fame for worst computer builds, but hopefully I can serve as a warning of what not to do.

-Edit, does walmart sell cans of air? I might have to blow this out on my balcony/
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#2samurai1900Posted 9/22/2013 11:26:31 AM
The chaos is simply beautiful to witness.
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#3HydroCannabinolPosted 9/22/2013 11:29:01 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4phantasyPosted 9/22/2013 11:31:26 AM
dumb question does it still work?
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#5SinisterSlay(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:34:26 AM(edited)
phantasy posted...

perfectly :D
I mean the monitor doesn't work, so I have to output to my HDTV, and 1080P gaming is a bit much for a 9600gt.

I'm thinking of finding a gtx260 and putting it in there.
Can't go too high because of the 32bit OS restriction. And I don't think that 4800 could run Windows 7 64bit very well.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6phantasyPosted 9/22/2013 11:34:06 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
phantasy posted...

perfectly :D

I'm sorry but I am totally LOLing, its one of them, its so bad its freaking amazing type of thing. I would find a spot in the room and put it on display.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#7Lonestar2000Posted 9/22/2013 11:34:59 AM
LOL, I have that same mobo but my computer is not nearly as bad.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#8SinisterSlay(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:35:22 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
LOL, I have that same mobo but my computer is not nearly as bad.

You have an M2N E?
---
#9SinisterSlay(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:36:41 AM
For cleaning purposes. These are the temps under load:

CPU: 70C
GPU: 95C

So lets see how much better they are after I clean this thing :D

I also have to replace the battery as it's been dead for a year, I am just now getting around to changing it.
---
#10SinisterSlay(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:40:03 AM
Oops, I forgot to mention, there is a floppy drive snugged into that mess :D
---