This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I realize what's hurting games for me these days.

#1BogePosted 9/22/2013 12:37:19 PM
It's the hand holding. I've heard people talk about it in the past, but I chalked it up to just an option in the game. You don't have to go to that waypoint or whatever it's telling you to do. The problem though is that it's not making you think for yourself to let you really explore the game.

I just got State of Decay and right at the beginning, it's telling me to go here, then go check the water tower, which is marked clearly on the map with green, then to survey which has big ? over each point I need to survey. Enough already! Let me survey the area! Let me find something I want to check out. Let me miss a special point because I didn't look close enough!

Okay, so I survey and hear a gunshot. It marks it right on my map where I'm supposed to look for the gunshot! Let me listen for the gunshots and determine just how far and what direction it's in. Let me mark on my map where I think it might be and go explore it! Stop telling me where to go and what to do. It's like someone sitting watching over my shoulder saying,"Okay, now go here and watch out because there is an enemy. Okay, now pick up that item, now use it on this."

It's really frustrating.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#2GarhinderPosted 9/22/2013 12:38:33 PM
It's the overall dumbing down and "appeal to a wider audience".
#3somebody336Posted 9/22/2013 1:03:39 PM
For me is that every game has humanoid enemies.
#4jake-sfPosted 9/22/2013 1:11:57 PM(edited)
Its kind of that and how games never feel "organic". I don't know if thats even the right word at all. What I mean is hard to describe. Older games tend to be that way almost exclusively -> you play through the game with what tools and options the game gives you. You're not stopped by invisible walls, you're not arbitrarily limited in your abilities in some awkward way, the game doesn't tell you things or how to them because instead, they (the good ones) are intuitively designed.

Nevermind intuitive and organic level design in general, that is almost completely and utterly extinct. Instead of feeling like you're playing a game and doing something within it, nowadays you feel like the game plays you.

I think one of the most common reaction I can relate to modern game is "oh.. I was supposed to do that". That mindset that everything in a game must be done by the player "exactly as intended". Any developer out there (and there are many) that thinks a game experience must be lived in such exactitude needs to get shot.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#5kjhoveyPosted 9/22/2013 1:12:48 PM
I agree... it's hard to find games like that nowadays.

I miss the days where a game like A Link to the Past would just throw you into action almost immediately.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/kjhovey
Steam= kjhovey GT= kjhovey v2 PSN= kjhovey
#6GravyButtPosted 9/22/2013 1:33:55 PM
Garhinder posted...
It's the overall dumbing down and "appeal to a wider audience".

Correct sir
#7Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 1:52:06 PM(edited)
It's fine and all having an NPC say,"Hey, there's a water tower just outside. You could get a better view of the area if you went up there." Great! I'll go find it and do that. Don't make it part of a quest that I have to complete. I hate MMORPGs now because that's all it is, waypoint hopping. There's no freedom to go your own way about doing something. You have to get every checkpoint for it to move on to the next.

I just want a game that drops me into it, tells me that this is who I am, how I got there, and here is what you have and what you know. Okay, go play! Having a map is great, but let me mark it up myself. Don't show me on the map. Don't show me what direction I'm facing. Let me find a compass and figure it out myself. Let me check landmarks to figure out where I am and which direction I'm facing. Let me watch the sun and determine what time it is or which way is north.

Stop looking over my shoulder and telling me how to play!

Why can't they go ahead and add options for that hand holding?

Automatically add points of interest to map?
Show character position on map?
Automatically add waypoint to next destination to map?

Modders do this in games after a game is released in order to help add realism to those that want it. Why don't the developers just do that from the start? I think I've heard the average gamer these days is like 30? I think we have enough brain power to figure out how to play games. And a game like this, being a mature rated game and all, does a "mature" audience really need, or want these simplified gaming mechanics?
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#8dermoratrakenPosted 9/22/2013 1:49:58 PM
The harder you work, the more you like the game. This is a known psychological effect. The problem is that gamers don't know what they want nor what makes a game good, but devs listen to them anyway to sell more copies. I think this is mistakenly considered dumbing down the game for casuals, but that's not necessarily what's going on.

Many 'features' are just quality of life improvements that make something less frustrating for all levels of gamers, and others are lazy design decisions by devs. It takes much less work does it take to just code in a compass rather than code a useful journal function and all the lines of dialogue necessary to ensure the player can complete the objective.
#9Linctagon7Posted 9/22/2013 1:53:24 PM
Play The Secret World.

That game takes a **** in the mouth of casuals and makes them swallow.

Good luck doing those green missions without Google.
#10DiviDudePosted 9/22/2013 1:55:52 PM
dermoratraken posted...
The harder you work, the more you like the game. This is a known psychological effect.

Source?