This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I realize what's hurting games for me these days.

#31FenixxPosted 9/22/2013 5:46:56 PM
I got a problem with the way games are now to. I'm 30 years old, have been playing games since I was a little kid, and as time goes on the games seem to be treating me as though I'm getting dumber. I can't even remember the last time that I actually had to think in a game or where I got stuck and couldn't figure out what to do. That doesn't happen anymore and it's disappointing. I want to be challenged and have to sit there for a bit to figure things out. But instead games have turned into a brainless experience where the only thing required is pushing some buttons and going to the big glowing marker on your screen.

I'm hoping to change that. About a week ago I started designing a game that I feel will bring back some of the excitement in gaming. It's going to be a heavily modified Zelda style adventure game for the more grown up gamers. It will initially be released for PC. So if we all can wait for a few years or however long it might take me, then at least we will have one game that can hopefully satisfy our cravings =P
---
My Game Collection - http://backloggery.com/VelaruneGaming
#32OsteoporozisPosted 9/22/2013 6:37:54 PM
Garhinder posted...
It's the overall dumbing down and "appeal to a wider audience".

Skyrim... skip the dialogue, read the quest description, follow the marker, do the thing. A "guided open world adventure game". You don't even have the option of figuring things out for yourself. doing a little bit of navigating. You have a map that tells you exactly where to go, transportation anywhere, and a handy compass with an arrow to tell you exactly where to go. Enemies are leveled; you can be the archmage, master of the fighter's guild, and kill Alduin at level 1 with no particularly advanced skills. The two actual factions are basic, joining one has no impact on the game except in a few select events.

This is as compared to an earlier game in the franchise with a completely obscured map, no fast travel, transportation that took you to a few select nodes (not a direct flight, either), no leveled enemies so death could be around the corner anywhere, requirements to advance through ranks in the guilds, multiple factions which had real impacts on your interaction with others to join. And let's not forget what a real RPG leveling system is like.

RIP Elder Scrolls III.
---
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...
Learn to swim.
#33OsteoporozisPosted 9/22/2013 6:53:36 PM(edited)
Magical double post.
---
Learn to swim.
#34Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 6:47:50 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOg990vAyk

This video says it all for me. This is exactly what I'm trying to say.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#35The_Ivory_ManPosted 9/22/2013 6:51:25 PM
Osteoporozis posted...
Garhinder posted...

Skyrim... skip the dialogue, read the quest description, follow the marker, do the thing. A "guided open world adventure game". You don't even have the option of figuring things out for yourself. doing a little bit of navigating. You have a map that tells you exactly where to go, transportation anywhere, and a handy compass with an arrow to tell you exactly where to go. Enemies are leveled; you can be the archmage, master of the fighter's guild, and kill Alduin at level 1 with no particularly advanced skills. The two actual factions are basic, joining one has no impact on the game except in a few select events.

This is as compared to an earlier game in the franchise with a completely obscured map, no fast travel, transportation that took you to a few select nodes (not a direct flight, either), no leveled enemies so death could be around the corner anywhere, requirements to advance through ranks in the guilds, multiple factions which had real impacts on your interaction with others to join. And let's not forget what a real RPG leveling system is like.

RIP Elder Scrolls III.

Morrowind is the ONLY game in the series WITHOUT fast travel.

You could EASILY become overpowered in Morrowind (There's a video on youtube of someone beating the main quest in 7 minutes)

Requirements meaning skill checks

And those multiple factions with real impacts only decreased the amount the members like you.

While giving directions could be better and it would be good to have both, I'd much rather have my unrealistic map and compass then vague directions that sometimes weren't even right.

I HATE when people do this, it's idiotic and most likely because of that one youtube video on it.
---
If you are 100% sure Redguards are the master race copy and paste this into your signature
#36OsteoporozisPosted 9/22/2013 6:53:12 PM(edited)
Not-so-magical triple post.
---
Learn to swim.
#37Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 7:12:22 PM(edited)
Super Metroid is coming to mind right now. It's one of my favorites. You land your ship and off you go. It's that way through the entire game. The only help you get is a description of what the items do when you pick them up.

Why can't games be like that again?

Don't Starve is a good one too. Plop! Good luck! Have fun! No idea what the heck I'm doing, but that's part of the fun, right? Figuring it out and wondering what I can do with the tools that are given to me?
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#38OsteoporozisPosted 9/22/2013 7:06:31 PM
The_Ivory_Man posted...
Osteoporozis posted...
Garhinder posted...

RIP Elder Scrolls III.

Morrowind is the ONLY game in the series WITHOUT fast travel.

You could EASILY become overpowered in Morrowind (There's a video on youtube of someone beating the main quest in 7 minutes)

Requirements meaning skill checks

And those multiple factions with real impacts only decreased the amount the members like you.

While giving directions could be better and it would be good to have both, I'd much rather have my unrealistic map and compass then vague directions that sometimes weren't even right.

I HATE when people do this, it's idiotic and most likely because of that one youtube video on it.

I've seen the video, I'd already come to all of the same conclusions. Morrowind is only my prime example of this phenomenon. I say it because it was one of my favorite games of all time and I'm genuinely upset by the direction in which it's gone. Oblivion was a step in the wrong direction and Skyrim was a giant leap.

Becoming game-breakingly overpowered is certainly a possibility, and probably not hard to achieve if you know how beforehand. I personally don't play a game with the intention of finding out exactly how to break it and make it no longer interesting. Unlike some aspects of the later games you actually do have a choice in whether or not you want to make it easy.

Skill checks are more than enough to keep a nord barbarian from becoming archmage. Something I did in Skyrim out of boredom.

Multiple factions with impacts on the world around you.. blocking off interaction with some of the other faction NPCs, leading you on different paths and developing different skill sets. It's a hell of a lot more than Skyrim had.

I never experienced incorrect directions, just vague ones that lead me elsewhere to find equally interesting places. I once tried to find a mine filled with bandits and instead found a cavern containing the staff of magnus, an item which was central to a plot in Skyrim. Frankly, you can go the wrong direction, but you're going to find something else just as interesting because the world is so densely populated.

I would call Morrowind my best example of what RPGs (adventure games in general) have been and still should be, in my opinion. But Skyrim makes more money, and until a game developer exists which make games for people to like rather than to make money the way of Skyrim will be the way it stays.
---
Learn to swim.
#39HerPandaPosted 9/22/2013 7:27:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lDN2IPs.jpg
#40arleasPosted 9/22/2013 8:51:05 PM
This reminds me of the sequelitis episode where Egoraptor talks about Megaman and game design... basically, everything you encounter is designed to teach you something and everything from there on out is designed to use what you've learned. I think a lot of these "spoonfed" games are like that because it's easier to just say "press X to do the thing" than it is to make the level so that pressing X is intuitive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM
In case you haven't seen it.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg