This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the best way to split a wired internet connection between three devices.

#1Zin_LGPosted 9/22/2013 6:23:15 PM
In my home we have a wired router which connects to multiple computers/devices. Wireless router is out of the question for now, at least.

In my part I have my PC, PS3, and 360. For the most part I kept my PS3 and 360 offline unless there a game I want to play online or an update for a game. Since I only have one physical line that required me to disconnect the line from my PC and plug it in the PS3/360. Since I've started using Netflix and Amazon Instant Video I would like to use my PS3 and maybe 360 a ways to play the videos, especially since its seem the majority of the videos I want to watch are offered on both are only HD on devices that aren't a PC.
---
Backlog progress: PS3- 26/43, 360 - 4/8, PSP- 14/48, PC ??/??
Recent completes - Heavy Rain :DC, Bastion, L.A. Noire, Assassin's Creed 2, NIER, Dante's Inferno
#2KillerTrufflePosted 9/22/2013 6:25:05 PM
You say you have a wired router... so why can you not just run a wire from each device to the router again, rather than swapping out cables? Do you not have enough cables? If not, get moar.

www.monoprice.com
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3YoungAdultLinkPosted 9/22/2013 6:25:05 PM
Buy another router.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#4LordSeiferPosted 9/22/2013 6:26:44 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
You say you have a wired router... so why can you not just run a wire from each device to the router again, rather than swapping out cables? Do you not have enough cables? If not, get moar.

www.monoprice.com

if you used the word router instead of modem, then buy a router.

if you are using like a 100 foot long cable, then buy a second switch
---
^ this
#5LordSeiferPosted 9/22/2013 6:27:44 PM
yes i think i understand now, you have a router, lets say its downstairs, one line comes through the wall into your room, and in your room you have 3 wired devices

buy a switch, any will do, should cost about 20 bucks
---
^ this
#6Zin_LG(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 6:29:16 PM
KillerTruffle posted...

www.monoprice.com

The other spots on the router are running to other devices that belong to other people. There just aren't enough spots on the router for the other two devices.
---
Recent completes - Heavy Rain :DC, Bastion, L.A. Noire, Assassin's Creed 2, NIER, Dante's Inferno
#7Zin_LG(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 6:31:36 PM
LordSeifer posted...
yes i think i understand now, you have a router, lets say its downstairs, one line comes through the wall into your room, and in your room you have 3 wired devices

I had a Belkin switch before and even when there was just one device on it made my connection terribly slow.
---
#8SlaynPosted 9/22/2013 6:36:18 PM
Zin_LG posted...
LordSeifer posted...

I had a Belkin switch before and even when there was just one device on it made my connection terribly slow.

Well that isn't what switches normally do.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#9Zin_LG(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 7:00:12 PM
Slayn posted...
Zin_LG posted...
LordSeifer posted...

Well that isn't what switches normally do.

Slower probably, but not 56k slow.

Any suggestion a good switch?
---
#10wildog2006Posted 9/22/2013 10:46:49 PM
why is wireless not an option? go to a thrift store and pick one up for like $5 if you're that strapped for cash
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.