This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your favorite RPG and why?

#11AlleRacingPosted 9/22/2013 7:23:38 PM
Morrowind

Expansive freedom in a vast alien world with tons of hand placed detail.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#12Cool_Dude667Posted 9/22/2013 7:24:10 PM
youneedalife posted...
How is the Diablo 2 community nowadays? Still going strong in spite of Diablo 3's release?

Mostly all bots now, pretty sad really.

The worst part is all the real players are in private games so spammers dont r*&^ their game.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#13Incendia_IntusPosted 9/22/2013 7:26:31 PM
I can't decide really now that I actually think about it. However, the very first game that came to mind was Planescape Torment.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#141618dudePosted 9/22/2013 7:30:34 PM
No idea. It's hard for me to say which RPG I enjoyed the most since I played so many of them.
I suppose I could say the first Fallout. I don't really enjoy turn-based combat RPGs (I still enjoy turn based games, but I tend to don't enjoy that much when they are RPGs), but the history and the settings were pretty good, the game had good characters and a very interesting antagonist. It was one of the first RPGs, if not the first, that I really played, so maybe there's some nostalgia influencing my choice.
#15TheMisfitPosted 9/22/2013 7:30:44 PM
AlleRacing posted...
Morrowind

Expansive freedom in a vast alien world with tons of hand placed detail.

Yeah, agreed. This was the first RPG I played that truly felt like I had the open freedom to actually...role play while ditching the tiresome mechanics of older DOS games (like Daggerfall for example). I am not even a fan of medieval style environments, but for Elder Scrolls, I make an exception. There are better RPGs now, but this one broke new ground and for that, it's my favorite. There is enough content to last a lifetime.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#16sirtonnePosted 9/22/2013 7:31:30 PM
Probably still FF6. It wasn't my first RPG, or even my first FF, but it was the first RPG I really loved and played to death. I still remember paying $90 for it on SNES back in the day because it was so hard to find and in demand where I lived.

I loved the all the characters, the mad Kefka and the subtle little things. Unlike a lot of RPGs, especially WRPGs with their endless text choices and rambling, FF6 let you use your imagination a lot to understand the characters and read between the lines. It was like a good fantasy novel where you feel like you get to know the characters well enough that a tiny little animation at the right time can be worth 1000 words. There were entire sub-plots and story references that went unsaid but were obvious (or mysterious and interesting) if you were paying close enough attention.
#17SlaynPosted 9/22/2013 7:32:44 PM
sirtonne posted...
Probably still FF6. It wasn't my first RPG, or even my first FF, but it was the first RPG I really loved and played to death. I still remember paying $90 for it on SNES back in the day because it was so hard to find and in demand where I lived.

I loved the all the characters, the mad Kefka and the subtle little things. Unlike a lot of RPGs, especially WRPGs with their endless text choices and rambling, FF6 let you use your imagination a lot to understand the characters and read between the lines. It was like a good fantasy novel where you feel like you get to know the characters well enough that a tiny little animation at the right time can be worth 1000 words. There were entire sub-plots and story references that went unsaid but were obvious (or mysterious and interesting) if you were paying close enough attention.

I still have my cartridge....

^______________________^
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#18sirtonnePosted 9/22/2013 7:41:19 PM
Slayn posted...
I still have my cartridge....

^______________________^

Same here. Still have all the packaging too, including the world map that I had laminated in highschool because I was afraid my little brother would rip it.
#19youneedalife(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 7:44:24 PM
Glad so many games on this list are games I have yet to play, I'm hyped to play some good RPGs and having people tell me their favorites really gives me a good place to start with, thanks guys!
#20KeyeszxPosted 9/22/2013 7:50:45 PM
Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2 Blue Burst. I may not have played it during Sega's fail attempt at running the servers but the private servers that kept hacking in some form of control were fun. It was the first RPG where I saw an economy within the community. It wasn't simply trade weapon a for weapon b it was trade x pd for weapon a. I thought that was interesting. It was always fun. Also Mag raising is the best.
---
PSN/Gamertag:Keyeszx (Don't send blank friend invite)
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2