This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your favorite RPG and why?

#611618dudePosted 9/22/2013 10:06:49 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
Arcanum

Such an overlooked game. It's basically a supped up Fallout.

There's even an easter egg based on the vault dweller. Very good game indeed, but had a quite cluck combat system, imo.
#62Omnipotent_CowPosted 9/22/2013 10:10:05 PM
1618dude posted...
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
Arcanum

There's even an easter egg based on the vault dweller. Very good game indeed, but had a quite cluck combat system, imo.

Well, I don't really play RPGs for the combat, which is perhaps a gaming sin, but I live with myself.
#63UkichiTachibanaPosted 9/22/2013 10:15:38 PM(edited)
Probably Diablo 2 and Morrowind.

D2 had a pretty intriguing story also kinda tells what happened after Diablo 1, and I like to do different builds and MF for loots.

Morrowind was the first open world RPG game I've ever played, and the game felt alive.
#64saltedhamPosted 9/22/2013 10:29:51 PM
suikoden 2, but only if you load perfect ending data when you start the game. it affects some things. a war with no black and white. luca blights tragic backstory got to me. i can see his point of view and the city states deserve no mery. you fight culgan and seed throughout the game, but they arnt bad, just patriots fighting for their nation. best part of the game though is confirmation of gremio being alive, but only if you loaded the data. game also had god tier sound track. sadly the guy who made the series left konami after or during part 3. 4 turned out terrible, 4 tactics game with wasnt good next. 5 pretty much copied part 2, but not as good. then some bad spin offs on the ds and psp. why did god abandon me. after starting the suikoden world and fleshing out its lore. he leaves. unfinished.

gone is the golden age of rpgs. rest in peace some of the greatest franchises ever

phantasy star
shining force
breath of fire
suikoden
ogre battle saga
---
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!
#65UnderratedGamerPosted 9/22/2013 10:49:07 PM
My sig.
---
Top 10 RPG's: Suikoden II, Xenogears, Shining Force II, FFVI, Dragon Warrior III, BoF II, Vagrant Story, Lufia II, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Tales of Symphonia
#66_EggplantWizardPosted 9/22/2013 10:59:41 PM
My favorite RPG series is the Fallout series.
I really like the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system and the perks. ...and what's really amazing to me is the world of Fallout. The lore and post-apocalyptic setting really draw me in.
---
Now playing Borderlands 2, Dark Souls, Dragon Quest VI (DS), TES V: Skyrim, Fallout: NV, Loco Roco Cocoreccho, Minecraft, NSMB, Secret of Mana, and Terraria.
#67youneedalife(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:05:29 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
1618dude posted...
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
Arcanum

Well, I don't really play RPGs for the combat, which is perhaps a gaming sin, but I live with myself.

I wish I could play a game based solely off of story, setting, and characters but I find myself in need of an interesting combat system to supplement my gaming needs :(. It really is a pain that I can't seem to enjoy some more story driven games like Planescape: Torment. I wouldn't count it as a sin but a blessing you aren't like me with my ADD ha ha.
#68kiahPosted 9/22/2013 11:18:55 PM
The first RPG I played was a shareware game called Exile: Escape from the Pit. I remember spending hours exploring this map with a few missions, roaming monsters, and hidden caves, and then accidentally stumbling down a road and discovering that this map I was exploring was only one map of what turned out to be 24 maps comprising the game. I had no idea a single game could eat up over 50 hours of game play.

The nearly total lack of graphics would prevent most people from playing it nowadays. But many of the quests were epic, the story was coherent and well plotted, and full of plot twists and unexpected boss battles, and tons of secret passages and hidden spells.

I still have 20 pages of notes I took while playing the game because there were no resources online to help.

The game has since been reworked into Avernum, which I can't make myself play because it made everything too easy and is no longer the nostalgia-tinged game I remember.

After that pushed me into RPG's bigtime, I played everything I could find. Favorites include FF VI, Skies of Arcadia, and Suikoden II, as well as many of the games in the Might and Magic series. It's really difficult to choose one favorite game.
---
Q: What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic?
A: Someone who stays up all night wondering if there is a Dog. G. Marx
#69Psalm51Posted 9/22/2013 11:28:55 PM
Yep...The premise of the Fallout games works for me. Mankind scrapping for resources in the second half of this century. ..Then come the nukes! That, the Alien blaster, the "worm-hole" in Fallout 2 and the death animations; they all did it for me. I've never played the newer games...Sigh...
---
King David, my hero.
#70IpsylosPosted 9/22/2013 11:37:23 PM
Right now it has to be Xenoblade, no other RPG has grabbed me like that one has.

Probably overall would be Planescape Torment, that game is made of gold.

A very strong honorable mention goes out to the Geneforge series, very well made, sucks that not many people have played them though.
---
Real gamers play and respect Nintendo games. So yes. That other Mcdouchebag is obviously a brain dead Sony Pony dudebro. - Fisto81