This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your favorite RPG and why?

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's your favorite RPG and why?
2 years ago#71
NieR is my favorite game of all time. It's primarily an action RPG, but it also borrows from different genres, so it's not really a classic RPG.
More orthodox examples would probably be Final Fantasy VI, Diablo 2 LoD, Dragon Age series and Persona 4.

I've recently beaten Witcher and am currently playing Witcher 2, and so far they're really freaking amazing. But I wanna wait until I'm done with 2 before I start considering it as one of my favorite series.

I also haven't played Mass Effect yet, but with all the hype (and despite the ME3 ending for which I'm still avoiding spoilers) I'm really hoping it's going to be one of my favorites.

EDIT: oh I just realized that the topic title asks for a reason.
NieR has it all for me, amazing story, likeable characters, beautiful music, fun gameplay. It's got everything I'd want in a game.

FFVI is my first RPG ever, so I get nostalgic just listening to the OST.
Diablo 2 is super addicting and I spent too much time playing it.

Dragon Age has a great setting and fun characters - I played DA2 (aka the most rushed game ever) twice just to see differences between Friendship and Rivalry paths.

Persona 4 is probably one of the most enjoyable to play RPGs. I really love the battle system in that game.

Witcher actually doesn't start out that good, but man the first game has a great story. I'm only at the end of Act 1 of Witcher 2, but so far it's shaping up to be even better than 1.
2 years ago#72
I'm going to put a less common title out there and say Makai Toushi SaGa. You could create a party of four characters from three character races, then develop and equip them pretty much however you wanted. Some races had certain restrictions, like espers would randomly learn new spells / abilities, but had fewer equipment slots than humans; monsters would level-up by eating other monsters, but couldn't equip anything; humans could hold stockpiles of weapons and increased their stats by eating vitamins like candy.

The setting placed you in front of this huge tower that was a hub connecting four major worlds and several little "side" worlds that had curious or downright bizarre sights. You needed plot coupons to advance farther into the tower, but it otherwise felt kind of open-ended.

The game is pretty well known for its story, which involves ascending to the very top of the tower in search of paradise, finding out that God created you for the sole purpose of his amusement, then proceeding to kill God with a chainsaw that you bought from a weapons dealer in a post-apocalyptic Japanese city.
2 years ago#73
Fallout 2. Great atmosphere & writing, good story, deep mechanics & a huge world to explore with some great random encounters.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
2 years ago#74
Witcher and KotOR take it for me, with Morrowind and Nier following right behind it.

The Witcher games blew me away with well written characters, story, and loved the lore.
KotOR and Morrowind for their obvious reasons.

I just picked up Nier last week, but after beating it all 4 times I was blown away.
Sure the graphics feel dated, but I loved everything about it. Easily the best OST I've ever heard, and it was implemented perfectly.
---
GT: Samikaze707
2 years ago#75
FFVIII because walls
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
2 years ago#76
Deus Ex. Everything about it is fantastic.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
2 years ago#77
FF 6 for the SNES
2 years ago#78
I spent more time on those games.
They also have horror and adventure element. finished none.:

elvira mistress of the dark
Elvira 2 jaws of cerberus

Also at that time i played Thunderscape. Very dark game, takes place at night.

Regarding japanese games, only one by far:
Legend of Mana 2
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
2 years ago#79
Kings bounty 2, Might and magic 4, Baldurs Gate 2 and FF7 are the ones that spring to my mind from across the years. The best of the most recent has to have been Skyrim. Thats assuming we're excluding MMOs as for GW2 I think is a fantastic game.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
2 years ago#80
Fallout 2, it was the perfect game, especially for it's time. Back then the graphics didn't need to be fully 3D and they didn't need voice overs on every line of dialogue. What made up for that was the extremely detailed writing and some of the very best reactivity to player choices that I've seen in a game. You don't see anything close to that nowadays, plus it would be damn hard to do with all the voice recordings for every reaction possible. Another great thing is that it's nearly impossible to play it the same way twice, especially with random encounters that can really show you something new every time you play the game.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's your favorite RPG and why?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived