This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's so bad about The Old Republic?

#1EpicKingdom_Posted 9/22/2013 10:07:09 PM
It seems to copy & paste WoW fundamentals but it works. I'm enjoying it much right now. Might have something to do with my interest in SW theme.
---
3570k (212 Evo) | Z77 Extreme 4 | Sapphire 7850 2GB OC | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | XFX PRO650w CE | 1TB Black WD | Fractal Design Define R4 | 3840x1080 | Logitech Z623
#2ZukkusPosted 9/22/2013 10:07:46 PM
It has one of the most restricting F2P models on the market.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#3Cool_Dude667Posted 9/22/2013 10:08:58 PM
Zukkus posted...
It has one of the most restricting F2P models on the market.

This.

Star Trek Online > Old Republic
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#4SamAndersPosted 9/22/2013 10:09:36 PM
It basically just doesn't have 8 years of content like WoW and people expected it to have as well established of an "endgame" as WoW at launch.

Basically. There's more but that's one of the biggest complaints
#5EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 10:10:47 PM(edited)
I thought F2P was a given? If you actually want it's content that badly, why not subscribe?

---
3570k (212 Evo) | Z77 Extreme 4 | Sapphire 7850 2GB OC | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | XFX PRO650w CE | 1TB Black WD | Fractal Design Define R4 | 3840x1080 | Logitech Z623
#6MaKhaosPosted 9/22/2013 10:19:39 PM
I played it like a single player story RPG. I enjoyed the time I spent in it. I never did finish the storyline. I'm unsure if I will go back and finish it. I was level 38, I believe. Bounty hunter.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#7EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 10:30:37 PM(edited)
Cool, anyways I am just wondering all. The only MMO I have EVER played has been WoW. I've been around that since BC although my subscription has ended a little bit before 5.4 hit and with a busy schedule I did not renew. Although, over the weekend here I decided to try out ToR since it's F2P. My main interest would be my enjoyment for Star Wars but so far.. it's exactly the same as WoW and I don't consider that a bad thing. I enjoy WoW so it just means I'll probably enjoy this. I'm only at Lv.12 so I can't speak much on behalf of the rest of the game of course but for starters.. yeah. One thing I love is the cinematic approach compared to quest reading in WoW. More interactive to the lore or story.

I just wonder why people don't accept new things. :p

---
#8blakegallowayPosted 9/22/2013 10:44:43 PM(edited)
EpicKingdom_ posted...
I thought F2P was a given? If you actually want it's content that badly, why not subscribe?

There are varying levels of F2P. Some models give you a lot of freedom and feel like the full game. Others nickel and dime you every chance they get in all aspects of the game. SWTOR falls into the latter category. Yes, you can experience 95% of the game without paying a dime, but you will be reminded you're not a subscriber at every turn and scratch your head at what they charge you for. Seemingly trivial things extra UI action bars and hiding your head slot item cost extra.

F2P aside the game had some issues. For one, the initial reception was awful. I've never personally witnessed such a vitriolic reaction to a game. Related forums and even in-game chat channels were filled with people who just whined and moaned every chance they got. People who had not subscribed in months were (and probably still are) on the GameFAQs boards bashing it, hoping it would fail. They cheered when it finally went F2P.

As for me personally, I had a few issues. Yes, even though it was still a WoW clone and still worked, it was just too similar for me since I played so much of WoW in the past. Leveling was way too linear, they give you the illusion of choice of going to two different planets, you pretty much had to choose the lower level planet. Otherwise you'd be too low for the second, then too high for the first. However many characters you wanted to level is how many times you would have to see each planet and play all the same quests over again.

Also the class stories were hit and miss for everyone. Some were better than others. The fully voiced quest dialogue was the best part of the game for me, class specific especially. But if you didn't like a particular class story, leveling could be extra tedious.
#9claytonbuckleyPosted 9/23/2013 2:44:53 AM
I was a subscriber before it was free2play and adored it, would of continued to play it but my guild pretty much died when Diablo 3 came out so i stopped playing it. I tried it again when it went free2play and was disgusted. leveling was at a snails pace because they slow down the exp gain unless you subscribe.
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#10SlaynPosted 9/23/2013 2:52:05 AM
This is my opinions... but it isn't a good single player game and it isn't a good multiplayer game. The storyline is supposed to make it different, and the storyline is FAR better than any other MMO I have ever played, but still not good enough. AFAIK you won't be able to make any REAL good choices. It isn't like you will get a completely different 'ending' to the game. Also what I REALLY don't like are all the generic MMO quests. So you enter a city and you start the storyline quests, and in between you will do hordes of the "kill 9 x and return" or the standard FedEx quests.

As far as multiplayer, even at release, I barely felt like there were people around, and there was little to no reason to group up. I got to about level 45 or so as a Jedi Knight, and the world just felt so barren. Sometimes there were group quests, and I barely had enough people to complete those. It just did not have the large expansive MMO feel. Felt very cold and lonely for an MMO.

Cannot comment on end game raiding, but the dungeons were just OK. I didn't feel like they were all that exciting while leveling up. In WoW I really liked their dungeon design. In the WOTLK/Catacslym era I leveled many characters just using the dungeon finder and playing a tank. Found the dungeons very fun. In TOR I just thought it was average.

Not a terrible game, but honestly no reason to play it over WoW. I also got bored of WoW though so maybe I am just over the whole MMO scene in general. Also F2P is just a bad model, I don't mind paying $15 a month for quality. I also felt GW2 was pretty mediocre as well, I only made it to level 15 or so.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.