This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Torn between two cases

#21rareware101Posted 9/23/2013 10:54:57 AM
CC Ricers posted...
The R4 was going to by my case of choice if I hadn't changed my mind about mobos and went with mini-ITX. The only thing I don't like about the case is that the front panel door should be detachable, or at the least it should swing back past 180 degrees. I don't like it seeing open when I am frequently using the optical drive or anything else I would be connecting in the bay doors.

The door is foam-backed though so keeping it on and closed is kind of the point. I get you but how often do you use a disc drive?
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#22HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 1:45:45 PM
I suppose the R4 it is then, I'll try and find the black one with a window but I hear that's a tad more audible than the completely closed? Either way I'll.. try and make some room near my desk to fit it, I think I could work something out.
#23HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 3:35:50 PM
Ah, measuring my desk space I think.. i have about 9 inches and a half or so to fit a tower. Would that be enough to hold it?
#24NicodimusPosted 9/23/2013 3:38:19 PM
The eye candy on the screen is what matters.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#25HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 4:30:05 PM
Nicodimus posted...
The eye candy on the screen is what matters.

Yes! I'll almost never look at my case or want to show it off which is why I think LEDs are not for me at all, I just want to play games nicely without having to put up with distractions or loud noises. I just hope all my parts get here in one piece.
#26HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 5:25:00 PM
last bump for input on whether it'd fit on my desk or not, if it does it might just be a tetris tight fit but that's fine by me.
#27__starsnostarsPosted 9/23/2013 5:27:53 PM
I just got the Fractal XL R2 and I'm pretty impressed with it. My only complaint was the holes for the standoffs weren't all cut fully which made it very frustrating.
#28Mogu_MoguPosted 9/23/2013 5:34:50 PM
No way. Go for the Blackhawk.
If you are really bothered by the LED fans you can replace them with the top and rear fans. They are all 120mm fans so you can interchange them with relative ease.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107

The Fractal R4 doesn't offer enough for that amount of money. You can definitely find better cooling solutions and trust me, noise is not even an issue unless you're hitting 45+ db. Most people play with headphones on nowadays anyway.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#29HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 5:58:50 PM
Mogu_Mogu posted...
No way. Go for the Blackhawk.
If you are really bothered by the LED fans you can replace them with the top and rear fans. They are all 120mm fans so you can interchange them with relative ease.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107

The Fractal R4 doesn't offer enough for that amount of money. You can definitely find better cooling solutions and trust me, noise is not even an issue unless you're hitting 45+ db. Most people play with headphones on nowadays anyway.

My headphones are hardly noise canceling though, but yes I do have a ceiling fan going in any room I'm in that's a gentle hum and drowns out my current computers fans but.. I still don't know, honestly, noise and dust are my biggest concerns and the R4 seems to handle both just swell.
#30HeroshiX2(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 7:03:23 PM
Well, still would love to know if the R4 would fit.. I'm getting a couple different width answers on sites and it's rather confusing, I'll just say I really only have about 9 or 9 and a half inches of space to fit this thing without needing something else to keep it off the ground.