This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any way to squeeze out more performance through software alone?

#1HarryMaySinPosted 9/23/2013 12:24:14 AM
Is there any way to get maybe 5-10% better performance without changing out hardware?

I mean things like

-optimizing windows so only the absolute necessary programs are running?
-using a different OS other than windows?
-i remember i used to do something to a file in order to make it run at "higher priority" and utilize more CPU/RAM etc but i forgot how to do it and I am wondering if it really makes a noticable difference?
-Does defragging every once in awhile actually help performance?

i have been away from computer gaming for a few years but I am getting a new pc delivered in a few days and I want to make the most out of it. I think its a decent rig... its definitely not a monster machine but I am kind of limited at the moment and all i would really need in the future is a new MOBO/PSU/GPU/CPU to make it a monster (the case,ram,HD are good enough for me)

if you guys have any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it =]
#2GrimmVikingPosted 9/23/2013 5:06:41 AM
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster
---
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst." - 1 Timothy 1:15
#3SmakkyofacePosted 9/23/2013 5:10:40 AM
software optimization doesn't really improve anything if your hardware isn't congested.

changing process priority from normal to high, for example, doesn't really affect anything until your cpu is at 100%.

What kind of hardware did you order? I'm sure it would be alright for a while. Just make sure to maintain it. Defrag, disable startup programs that you dont need, etc.

Game booster only has noticeable gains on really low end hardware.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz, 24GB DDR3 1600, Evga Gtx 670 FTW.
#4SlaynPosted 9/23/2013 5:11:24 AM
Overclock your monitor.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#5uncle_DescartesPosted 9/23/2013 5:36:01 AM
- This doesn't mean much on a decent gaming computer. At best, disabling certain programs like a buggy AV will slightly reduce laggy input. But regardless it will never make the difference between a game running poorly and running fine.

- Good luck running most games on a non-Windows OS.

- Doesn't really make a difference unless the CPU is getting high usage - games don't use 100% out of principle, so you'd have to be running something like a video render simultaneously...

- It might slightly decrease load times, but that's it. Definitely won't get rid of the occasional "stutter" that happens when you don't have enough RAM to comfortably run a game.

The real boost will come from updating your video card drivers regularly.
#6MaximoomPosted 9/23/2013 7:02:32 AM
download more ram.
#7HarryMaySin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 8:41:28 AM
thank you uncle, and to the trolls..... hey you guys are very very funny i bet you have the cutest girlfriend(s). i wish i was like you guys.
#8DinglesteedPosted 9/23/2013 8:44:08 AM
Slayn posted...
Overclock your monitor.

Only if you have a power cable that is unlocked though.
---
Playing: Dragon's Crown, MLB the Show 13, Pikmin 3, Project X Zone, ETS2
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571
#9HarryMaySin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 11:13:56 AM
Dinglesteed posted...
Slayn posted...
Overclock your monitor.

Only if you have a power cable that is unlocked though.

really funny, well thought out and great post that contributes a lot.

you should do stand up comedy
#10Ch3wyPosted 9/23/2013 11:16:24 AM
I would probably check out those websites they advertise on TV for making your computer run fast. They have a lot of great testimonials on the commercials.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.