This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can one of Valve's announcements hurt Microsoft financially? I would say YES!

#1ECOsvaldoPosted 9/23/2013 2:50:52 AM
With Valve's first announcement set for today at 12PM CST, many are speculating that one of them can be the long-awaited reveal of Half-Life 3. Others are pointing to Valve showing off their own Steambox hardware with a possible sale date this holiday season. But what I don't see that's being mentioned is one possible announcement that can potentially knock Microsoft down hard financially in the long run.

Steam's "Big Picture" mode was integrated into the software in December 2012. Big Picture mode is a 10-foot user interface, optimizing the display of Steam to work on high-definition televisions, allowing the user to control Steam via a gamepad or through keyboard and mouse. Newell has stated that Big Picture mode is a step towards a dedicated Steam entertainment hardware unit.

Also, Gabe Newell explained that Valve's strategy is to develop a single hardware unit themselves as the default model, internally named "Bigfoot", but work with other computer manufacturers who want to offer the same user experience but with different hardware configurations not offered by Valve's model. At the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show, Xi3 Corporation introduced a prototype modular PC, codenamed "Piston". This unit was one of several possible designs that Valve was looking as the default hardware model for the Steam Box, and is specifically designed to run Steam on Linux and support Big Picture mode. However Valve had clarified that though they did some initial exploratory work with Xi3, they have had no direct involvement with the Piston's specifications, and it is not necessarily representative of their final design for their Steam Box.

Not only that, in a July 2012 article from bit-tech, Newell indicated that adding Steam to Linux is "a nod to the users who have struggled for years running Valve games" under Linux itself:

"Valve wouldnít exist if it weren't for the PC. If people look at what they can accomplish when they can limit competitors' access to their platform, they say, 'Wow, thatís really exciting.' Even some of the people who have open platforms, like Microsoft, get really excited by the idea that Netflix has to pay them rent in order to be on the Internet. Thatís not how we got here, and I donít think thatís a very attractive future. So we're looking at the platform, and up until now we've been a free rider. We've been able to benefit from everything that's gone into the PC and the internet. Now we have to start finding ways that we can continue to make sure there are open platforms. So, that involves a couple of different things. One, weíre trying to make sure that Linux thrives. So we're going to continue working with the Linux distribution guys, shipping Steam, shipping our games, and making it as easy as possible for anybody who's engaged with us ó putting their games on Steam and getting those running on Linux, as well. Itís a hedging strategy."

In that same article, he also gave his response to Microsoft's touch-centric Windows 8 operating system and its Metro UI:

"I think that Windows 8 is kind of a catastrophe for everybody in the PC space. I think that we're going to lose some of the top-tier PC [original equipment manufacturers]. They'll exit the market. I think margins are going to be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that's true, itís going to be a good idea to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."

With Gabe's recent smack talk about Microsoft and his love for the Linux platform (some are speculating that Valve is working non-stop on vastly improving Wine to make it more compatible with Windows games), can we see a possible announcement today for a Linux-based Steam operating system? For me personally, I would gladly hope so!
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 9/23/2013 2:54:14 AM
I might actually use Linux if this turns out to be true 0.o
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3ECOsvaldo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 3:41:14 AM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
I might actually use Linux if this turns out to be true 0.o

With everything that's been said and shown for the past year, all signs are pointing to a dedicated Ubuntu-based Steam OS.
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#4iceachePosted 9/23/2013 3:46:22 AM
anyone who thinks Half Life 3 will be revealed is an idiot.
#5Cool_Dude667Posted 9/23/2013 9:27:09 PM
I guess you were right.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#6JonWood007Posted 9/23/2013 9:32:10 PM
Gaben's gonna have to make the steam OS really, really good, and deal with a lot of compatibility problems if they really wanna hurt microsoft.

Even if every single steam game were made compatible, that's not to say origin games will be, or CD based PC games, which I have quite a few of. And what about other applications? Idk, this steam OS is a hard sell. I would like to get off of M$ next build, but I am also realistic and don't see how they can make an OS with as much compatibility as windows has.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768