This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So...PCH, Binary Domain or Spec Ops: the Line?

#21McDoodPosted 9/23/2013 2:16:52 PM
Binary Domain is a very enjoyable run and gun TPS game. The enemies are very satisfying to kill and the guns handle well. You also don't need to worry about cover too much which makes it way more fun to play. It has some pretty cool themes (AI and what does it mean to be human) in its story and the character interactions are pretty good, but don't use the voice recognition because it's crap.

Spec Ops is a pretentious piece of crap that force feeds its story into the players mouth. The thing it does worst is pretend that the player has options but they don't ever mean anything and the game tries to make you feel guilty for it anyway. Gameplay is typical cover based TPS with nothing interesting about it.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/whipper raptr.com/Whipper
#22DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/23/2013 2:20:23 PM
Ch3wy posted...
I haven't played Binary Domain nor do I know anything about it. but Spec Ops: the Line is better.

Actually I enjoyed Binary Domain a fair bit more. Spec ops is a must play but it wasn't nearly as interesting to me.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#23DragonRaizenPosted 9/23/2013 2:37:38 PM
I'm just going to say most of the people who are complaining about Spec Ops' story here are completely missing its pont. People are complaining that it makes you feel like **** and punishing you for not having a choice when those aspects are entirely part of the meta the game is trying to subvert.

In other words, people are saying Spec Ops is **** because it absolutely succeeded in doing exactly what it set out on doing. Whether they like it or not is a whole different story.
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#24Doomsday FortePosted 9/23/2013 2:53:33 PM
Binary Domain's the only one I've played, despite owning both. I'll work on downloading Spec Ops eventually. That said, since people touched on the shooting mechanics and stuff, I'll talk a little about other stuff. There are relationship values to consider. It's not a dating sim, but you're working to build Trust with your allies, and having higher trust means they'll betterly follow your orders, and you'll see a few extra scenes with higher trust (and the best ending is only possible when everyone's trust is maxed out).

That said, you're given the option to pick from two allies in most missions, and your choices affect the dialog you hear between the two and Dan sometimes. For example, right after the demo starts, you have to pick your team, and there's one of these dialogs right after. Picking Rachel and Faye together would have them comment about Dan's supposed chauvinist tendencies with the chance for both of them to lose Trust with him, whereas taking Big Bo and Faye would have Big Bo make some suggestive comments towards Dan regarding Faye, with a chance to lose Trust with either one of them depending on how you answer.

The only thing I didn't really like about the game was the Stage Select mode, where you can replay missions...but all of your weapons and upgrades and money aren't present. Seems extremely jarring to me, but maybe I had an issue, I dunno.
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.
#25DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/23/2013 3:08:47 PM(edited)
DragonRaizen posted...
In other words, people are saying Spec Ops is **** because it absolutely succeeded in doing exactly what it set out on doing. Whether they like it or not is a whole different story.

That is exactly the point. Still if someone offered icecream or a punch in the face, I'm going to take the icecream every time. Spec ops is good for what it is but its not something people are going to enjoy a whole lot. Its gameplay is passable and it makes you think a bit about what you are doing in games these days. That makes it a better conversation piece, not game.

Also the games intentions and theme are easily perceived. Don't act like you are part of some small club that 'get's it'.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#26DragonRaizenPosted 9/23/2013 4:12:23 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
DragonRaizen posted...

That is exactly the point. Still if someone offered icecream or a punch in the face, I'm going to take the icecream every time. Spec ops is good for what it is but its not something people are going to enjoy a whole lot. Its gameplay is passable and it makes you think a bit about what you are doing in games these days. That makes it a better conversation piece, not game.

Also the games intentions and theme are easily perceived. Don't act like you are part of some small club that 'get's it'.

Not my intention. It's just hard to stay by when people fail to see the merits on a game because they didn't like it, especially when they complain about the game reaching its potential.
Yes, gameplay wise, both are fairly run-off-the-mill third person shooters. Binary Domain annoys me greatly because they already showed they could do better with Vanquish. Binary Domain is everything Vanquish was minus the unique parts, and I don't understand why would they do that. In short, yours is a fair point.
That being said, I tend to judge games by the whole experience, not just the gameplay. And as such, the story in Spec Ops is a big plus for me, even if the gameplay itself is nothing special. It does exactly what it was designed to do and it does it well. It's not supposed to make you feel good, it's supposed to make you think, and if you don't like that, that's fine, but don't discredit the merits of the game because of that.
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#27Kokuei05Posted 9/23/2013 4:40:50 PM
Only played Spec Ops. Interesting story but generic Gears of War style gameplay.

IIRC when Binary Domain came out it was reviewed the same as above.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
#28TimePharaohPosted 9/23/2013 5:49:05 PM
Spec Ops was better in literally every single way. It was almost painful trudging through the 19 millionth boring easy robot in the same looking hallway for hours
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png