This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is There a Way to Get 5.1 Surround Sound in Any PC Game?

#1Madmicky933Posted 9/23/2013 7:57:16 AM
Like older games for example. They only support stereo sound.
Is there a way to make any game like that work with all the speakers of 5.1 surround sound?

It'd really help in first person shooter games like Red Faction II for example.
---
Karma... Is a powerful force..
#2El MagnificoPosted 9/23/2013 8:25:15 AM
Your audio drivers may provide the ability to mirror the audio from the front speakers to the rear speakers.
#3SmakkyofacePosted 9/23/2013 8:28:41 AM
if the source is stereo, using software to do virtual surround wouldn't really help, you'll just hear more reverb from the other speakers.

Of course, you can enable it in your sound drivers and adjust audio in game to try and separate channels for best sound. But there's no easy, one button way to get virtual surround and make it sound decent.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz | 32GB DDR3 1600 | SLI Evga Gtx 670 FTW | Samsung 256GB PRO | 1TB Maxtor 7200rpm RAID 0
#4Madmicky933(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 9:00:55 AM(edited)
Ah. I see.

What about OpenAL?
I've heard about it doing something to games like Amnesia to make surround sound work with those games well.
---
#5XjphPosted 9/23/2013 9:14:12 AM
Amnesia has in built support for surround, using OpenAL as its API. You see a lot of threads about "fixing" it using OpenAL because it's not well supported.

Your best bet is something like Dolby Pro Logic II, which will attempt to upmix the sound to more channels.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#6KillerTrufflePosted 9/23/2013 9:25:50 AM
All simulated surround sound will do in games that don't automatically support surround sound is give it sort of an "expanded stereo" feel. It will appear that the sound field is wider, but it won't give the precise audio positioning true surround sound can.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7Madmicky933(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 9:47:29 AM
Ah okay. So basically there really isn't a true way of doing it without the game actually having support for it?

Kind of sucks. Well, thanks for the help, guys.
I'd rather it be stereo sound than a simulated extended kind of stereo sound.
---
#8KillerTrufflePosted 9/23/2013 9:59:34 AM
It's the same concept as taking a low-res picture and making it bigger or zooming in. You simply can't accurately add detail that isn't there to start with. You can make educated guesses, and sometimes come up with something that looks OK, but it is impossible to recover data that doesn't exist in the first place.

Same goes for 3D positional sound - if there is no positional audio data, there is nothing for surround-sound to read. It can guess, and "expand" the stereo signal, but without that positional audio data, it can't magically create something out of nothing.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#9Madmicky933(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 10:12:06 AM
It'd be awesome if we could add in the coding into the audio files in a installed game to make it have 5.1 surround sound support.
Alas, it's obviously not that simple.
---
#10MasterDonGeroPosted 9/23/2013 10:17:40 AM
Madmicky933 posted...
It'd be awesome if we could add in the coding into the audio files in a installed game to make it have 5.1 surround sound support.
Alas, it's obviously not that simple.

Technically, it's possible, but it would be extremely difficult.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom