This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SteamOS poll

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. SteamOS poll
2 years ago#51
Asellus posted...
Yeah... they still have to take the hardware configuration into account. They don't just write one rendering engine and have it work perfectly on every single GPU model.

Sure they do. How do you suppose let's say Evil Genius is able to run on a GTX 780 despite that card being around ten generations away from existing when the game was produced?

You write the application to the api and as long as whatever hardware you're playing it on is capable of understanding that api it works on it. In an ideal world, at least. In practice it's still a good idea to test stuff out on different hardware configurations to be sure - particularly with regard to OGL which is definitely a much lesser priority in driver bug fixing for nVidia and AMD as the last significant OGL release (Rage) showed.

Still though - the point is that one of the main reason we have apis like OpenGL is so that software developers *don't* have to worry about how something will run on every single gpu model out there or that will ever be out there.

Sorry, it just doesn't work like that in the real world. There's too much of a difference in GPUs and their drivers to have one rendering engine work perfectly on every single card out there. Developers release patches for their games all the time that improve performance or fix graphical glitches on certain lines of cards. Before HL2 was released Valve talked a lot about how much extra work they had to put in to the Nvidia rendering path of Source to get it to perform on par with ATI cards. This is common.
---
---
2 years ago#52
Sorry, it just doesn't work like that in the real world. There's too much of a difference in GPUs and their drivers to have one rendering engine work perfectly on every single card out there. Developers release patches for their games all the time that improve performance or fix graphical glitches on certain lines of cards.

They can fix bugs or tweak settings for quirks of particular hardware or tweak to try to eek out extra performance from the popular stuff of the day but where you get this idea that involves a whole new rendering engine - let alone one for every single bit of hardware out there...

And this doesn't always happen either, some games go perfectly fine without ever needing a patch - let alone a patch that fixes some graphical issue caused by hardware not implementing the api correctly (which'd normally be AMD / nVidia's job to fix).

Before HL2 was released Valve talked a lot about how much extra work they had to put in to the Nvidia rendering path of Source to get it to perform on par with ATI cards. This is common.

Sure - the current nVidia cards of the time were the FX 5000 series and they were crap. Half-Life 2 was far from the only game they ever had major issues with.

If you'd really like to hammer this out refer here -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1144/6

Said code path was not "special coding for nVidia" - it was fallback dx8 code since the 5000 series didn't handle a number of dx9 features well at all.
2 years ago#53
I hope this somehow, in some way picks up interest in linux. I'd ditch windows in a heartbeat.
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.
2 years ago#54
One of the features is that it improves game performance. If it's a major increase in many of the games I play, I'll consider dual-booting with Windows. I'd never completely ditch Windows because of the compatibility/support that Windows has. SteamOS is free, so I'd have nothing to lose by trying it out.

Bottom line: I need to know more.
---
"Words cannot describe how screwed I am..."-Phoenix Wright
Currently Playing: The Sims 3
2 years ago#55
Asellus posted...

They can fix bugs or tweak settings for quirks of particular hardware or tweak to try to eek out extra performance from the popular stuff of the day but where you get this idea that involves a whole new rendering engine - let alone one for every single bit of hardware out there...

I definitely never once said it required a whole new rendering engine.

Sure - the current nVidia cards of the time were the FX 5000 series and they were crap. Half-Life 2 was far from the only game they ever had major issues with.

If you'd really like to hammer this out refer here -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1144/6

Said code path was not "special coding for nVidia" - it was fallback dx8 code since the 5000 series didn't handle a number of dx9 features well at all.

First of all, I'm not sure who you're quoting "special coding for nVidia" but those words were never said in this topic. Secondly, if you read the article that you posted it clearly states that the nVidia 5900 had to run in a special mixed DX8/DX9 mode for HL2. I mean this whole argument is about whether or not developers have to take hardware configuration into account when programming games, and you put a link to an article that proves me right. I'm not sure what your game is here.
---
---
2 years ago#56
I definitely never once said it required a whole new rendering engine.

You quoth -

Sorry, it just doesn't work like that in the real world. There's too much of a difference in GPUs and their drivers to have one rendering engine work perfectly on every single card out there.

First of all, I'm not sure who you're quoting "special coding for nVidia" but those words were never said in this topic. Secondly, if you read the article that you posted it clearly states that the nVidia 5900 had to run in a special mixed DX8/DX9 mode for HL2.

Because it sucked at doing dx9. This isn't special tuning, it's making the best you can of an atrocious card. 6000 series and up they got it right and could use the proper Big Boy settings again.

I mean this whole argument is about whether or not developers have to take hardware configuration into account when programming games, and you put a link to an article that proves me right. I'm not sure what your game is here.

Mostly incredulity that you seem to think the api is... what, a loose suggestion about how things ought to work? I've never said you can't take hardware into account - most games will have at least a few settings designed to go this way on nVidia or that way on AMD hardware. This is about trying to squeeze the best performance you can out of what's available at the moment though, not because the whole api's so shoddily constructed it would be impossible to have one code base that worked on both.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. SteamOS poll

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived