This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam OS brainstorming performance.....

#1sonicteam2k1Posted 9/23/2013 1:43:01 PM(edited)
I read this over at Kotaku in the comments section...

"One way it COULD help, however, would be through a lightweight OS that could maximize gaming performance in the way consoles get more juice out of running on similar specs to a PC because they have so much overhead in Windows. Nothing monumental, but for people like myself without an amazing gaming PC, it could actually be a way to squeeze a tiny bit more performance out of it"

I never thought about that. That would be genius. Imagine how much performance some of us with high end rigs could get if that was entirely possible???
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#2SteamsterPosted 9/23/2013 2:09:51 PM
Linux already exists if you really feel like doing that.

But if your rig is high end then I'm sure you don't really need help running Team Fortress 2 any better than you do.
#3uncle_DescartesPosted 9/23/2013 2:14:34 PM
The difference is not remotely close.

With Linux, you're still using an OS. Perhaps an OS with less going on under the hood, but there's still a lot of "layers" code has to go through on a PC vs. a console where they program "direct to the metal" and make the hardware effectively several times stronger than if it was in a gaming PC. If a game isn't playable (at an enjoyable level) on your Windows OS, don't expect it to be playable on SteamOS. Besides most of the Linux games are pretty old/indie and will easily run maxed regardless of your OS.
#41337toothbrushPosted 9/23/2013 2:19:08 PM(edited)
uncle_Descartes posted...
The difference is not remotely close.

With Linux, you're still using an OS. Perhaps an OS with less going on under the hood, but there's still a lot of "layers" code has to go through on a PC vs. a console where they program "direct to the metal" and make the hardware effectively several times stronger than if it was in a gaming PC. If a game isn't playable (at an enjoyable level) on your Windows OS, don't expect it to be playable on SteamOS. Besides most of the Linux games are pretty old/indie and will easily run maxed regardless of your OS.

Wrong. Rarely are console games programmed "to the metal" these days. You'll essentially only see that in first-party titles or titles like GTA with explosive budgets. Either way, these games are the extreme minority. It's not like the whole game is written in assembly or anything either, you do that in the most busy loops which, by the way, you can do on PC. With PC you avoid expensive OS calls in intensive parts of the code and you can use assembly.

In the end, the difference is not that big, especially not big enough for consoles to beat an average gaming PC, especially since the next-gen consoles use essentially laptop hardware.
---
------------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/hobo2/bill_zps1f9d3654.jpg
#5AsellusPosted 9/23/2013 2:21:07 PM

Not really, no. Consoles have operating systems these days. Most console games are programmed to apis, same as on pc (they might be thinner apis but the purpose of apis is as much to simplify programming and reduce the number of times it's necessary to reinvent the wheel as it is to simplify compatibility).
#6sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 6:29:12 PM
Steamster posted...
Linux already exists if you really feel like doing that.

But if your rig is high end then I'm sure you don't really need help running Team Fortress 2 any better than you do.

it's not optimized for games. It runs other task just as windows. SteamOS could be just for games and nothing else, which could maximize hardware
---
See The Game Collection
#7mrCubePosted 9/23/2013 8:16:12 PM
I feel like the target device for SteamOS would be like a set-top box for streaming internet media, like a Roku or Apple TV. With the bonus feature of being able to stream your PC games over your network to your television.

I also think the streaming feature implies there will be some kind of controller or that you can use existing controllers. Which could possibly mean there will be more on-screen multiplayer games coming out on the PC, since you now can play your PC games in the living room, on your couch.
---
---
#8PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/23/2013 10:07:43 PM
You seem to think OS optimization will magically improve performance by orders of magnitude. Well, no, it won't, you're wrong.

Ever look at your CPU/RAM Usage when your computer is just sitting there, doing nothing? We'll be generous and say it's at about 10%. Essentially, that's the maximum limit of the performance increase from OS optimization. You won't magically get 200% better performance, although you will see an increase. This explanation is a gross over simplification, but I hope you get the point.
---
Fear is a leash.
#9sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 3:53:54 AM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
You seem to think OS optimization will magically improve performance by orders of magnitude. Well, no, it won't, you're wrong.

Ever look at your CPU/RAM Usage when your computer is just sitting there, doing nothing? We'll be generous and say it's at about 10%. Essentially, that's the maximum limit of the performance increase from OS optimization. You won't magically get 200% better performance, although you will see an increase. This explanation is a gross over simplification, but I hope you get the point.

are you an engineer working on the OS? No. So you have no idea what it's capable of. Neither do I. SO stop being so damn negative and go back downstairs and finish your cheetos
---
See The Game Collection