This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Valve is trying to redefine PC gaming as... console gaming?

#31BogePosted 9/23/2013 7:54:15 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
Xbox360 and PS3 already redefined console gaming as PC gaming when they decided to allow buggy, unfinished crap on $500 console hardware, which then mandated an online patching infrastructure.

Let's not also forget that 90% of 7th Generation games are available for PC/X360/PS3, leading to little differentiation even among the software libraries.

PC gaming = Console gaming, and the sooner the Master Race realizes this, the sooner they can all STFU.

Really the only things that separate console and PC gaming are:

Keyboard/Mouse
Mods
Some game types (Strategy, MMORPGs, simulations)

PCs can do everything consoles can do. Consoles can't do everything PCs can do. When they are even, there won't be "PC gaming" and "console gaming". There will just be video gaming.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#32KamenRiderBladePosted 9/23/2013 8:13:41 PM(edited)
My problem is they're using a custom Linux OS.

This is going to fragment the development community even more.

As big as Steam is, I don't think the devs will step outside the PS4/XB1/PC dev zones.

Steam OS creates a Chicken / Egg problem

Where as PC / PlayStaiton / Xbox has their established audience

Even Apple iOS and Android has their established audience, trying to shoe horn in another platform is corporate suicide IMO.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#33Tommy2GoGoPosted 9/24/2013 2:44:39 AM
I might get a steam box.
IWhen I do move into a small apartment and whatnot. I wont be bringing my desktop. I"ll just leave it at home.

I'd still like to game. A steambox would do just that. Plus it's small and portable.

I can take it to friend's houses and just have a good time.
#34TheWayOfTheGunPosted 9/24/2013 3:03:50 AM
Because sitting on your couch/lazy boy with a controller is the best way to play games, especially since your friends and family can join you for even more fun. It's better to have to option of using a mouse for RTS games though.
#35HypnoCooshPosted 9/24/2013 3:47:08 AM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Fairly sure they're trying to redefine consoles as PCs.

Steambox is a console-killer, not a PC-killer.

This man gets it.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#36LostHisHardcorePosted 9/24/2013 4:13:52 AM
Why argue about console versus PC, the next gen consoles out this year are based on x86 architecture ie. they are PCs.
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#37PraetorXynPosted 9/24/2013 4:21:06 AM
LostHisHardcore posted...
Why argue about console versus PC, the next gen consoles out this year are based on x86 architecture ie. they are PCs.

Very, very gimpy PC's, but I agree.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#38ThePonyColliePosted 9/24/2013 6:07:54 AM
I hope in the future, more PC games will support controller as well. More options are great!
#39arleasPosted 9/24/2013 6:10:57 AM
I'm thinking that the only thing the Steam Box will do is redefine a new minimum standard for games... if it "runs on steambox" then you'll automatically know it's worth buying (for those people who know nothing about computers). That way they don't get home and find out "what? minimum requirements are a 660GT and 8 GB of RAM?" and they only have an integrated card and 2 GB.... or whatever.

I don't think it's going to change PC gaming more than that (so far anyway). It depends on what these last two announcements are...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#40DarkSaber2kPosted 9/26/2013 2:38:14 PM
ninto55 posted...
McDood posted...
It's not like Valve's games take advantage of PC in any way that isn't mods. They're all pretty slow paced cinematic affairs.

When has this ever been true? If you want to talk about areas where Valve sucks you can say that Half-Life is just a bunch of boring arenas strung together with bland vehicle segments and a poor story. Portal is just a bunch of puzzles only worth a single play through. Then you get the multiplayer games which are as far away from 'slow paced cinematic affairs' as you can get.

But they are......