This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do you think until USB 3/3.1 is commonly adopted?

#1Sk2k52Posted 9/23/2013 3:57:20 PM
When USB 2.0 came out, it seems adoption was almost immediate. It makes sense though as how 1.x was a bit limited.

It seems adoption of 3.0 has been stellarly low, with some computers coming out with a only a single 3.0 port. USB 3.1 is almost here though, do you think it will help pick up the momentum, or there just isnt enough reasons / demand to go past 2.0?
---
http://14thlord.blogspot.com/2013/09/7-reasons-wii-u-flopped-at-launch.html
7 Reasons why the Wii U's Launch failed.
#2chrcolPosted 9/23/2013 6:34:50 PM
couple reasons I think.

First is that usb2 is probably only limited by external storage devices, most other usb devices arent really limited by usb2.
Second is since the pc market is shrinking, innovation is going down with it and hardware vendors arent pushing pc tech so much.
#3PathlessBulletPosted 9/23/2013 6:40:29 PM
Tablets are the future and they don't need USB ports.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#4chrcolPosted 9/23/2013 6:45:22 PM
PathlessBullet posted...
Tablets are the future and they don't need USB ports.

hardly, there is many things I do on my pc that cant be done on a tablet.

the fact they dont have usb ports is a failure of tablets not a failure of usb ports.
#5PathlessBulletPosted 9/23/2013 6:48:23 PM
chrcol posted...

Sure, but not for much longer.
---
#6Orestes417Posted 9/23/2013 6:58:44 PM
PathlessBullet posted...
chrcol posted...

Smoking crack there son. Maybe you want to go into the business of peddling leathermen to auto mechanics.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#7PathlessBulletPosted 9/23/2013 7:03:49 PM
Orestes417 posted...
PathlessBullet posted...
chrcol posted...

Smoking crack there son. Maybe you want to go into the business of peddling leathermen to auto mechanics.

I don't think so. Tablets have already replaced 90% of what you can do with a PC and thrived beyond in comfort and accessibility.

It's only a matter of time before we move over to tablet based computers for everything from typing a paper to heavy programming and graphics work.
---
#8Orestes417Posted 9/23/2013 7:15:20 PM(edited)
You mean they've replaced 90% of what the portion of the population that only uses maybe 10% of what their computers can do in the first place want to do and they serve as a complementary product to the rest. Trying to use a tablet for real work is every bit as dumb as trying to reassemble an engine with a leatherman. Yeah you may be able to do it but you're going to waste time and get laughed at by your peers.

Or, put another way, if all your needs are met by tablets and phones, you don't have very demanding needs in the first place.

---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#9PathlessBulletPosted 9/23/2013 7:17:37 PM
Orestes417 posted...
You mean they've replaced 90% of what the portion of the population that only uses maybe 10% of what their computers can do in the first place want to do and they serve as a complementary product to the rest. Trying to use a tablet for real work is every bit as dumb as trying to reassemble an engine with a leatherman. Yeah you may be able to do it but you're going to waste time and get laughed at by your peers.

Sure, you can't really effectively program - or hell - even type a term paper with the way tablets are now. I agree with you there, but I strongly believe that will quickly change in the years to come through some tablet based innovations I can't think up because then I'd be a billionaire.
---
#10The Vic ViperPosted 9/23/2013 7:41:29 PM
You know what would make me more likely to buy a tablet instead of a desktop/laptop? Putting a USB port on it.
---
~ The Vic Viper ~
"I have nightmares about hell, where all I do is add up numbers and try to have conversations with people like you."