This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who exactly is SteamOS's target audience? I don't get it.

#11muccmasterxPosted 9/23/2013 7:04:01 PM
iceache posted...
muccmasterx posted...
Windows 7 and gaming already works perfectly fine. Who is seriously going to give up an already great OS with great gaming capabilities for a non userfriendly OS that will have lousy software support just for some minor performance increases in gaming.

You come from the future? Tell me how it is there.

No, but I've used various versions of Linux.
#12ShubPosted 9/23/2013 7:08:29 PM
muccmasterx posted...
iceache posted...
muccmasterx posted...
Windows 7 and gaming already works perfectly fine. Who is seriously going to give up an already great OS with great gaming capabilities for a non userfriendly OS that will have lousy software support just for some minor performance increases in gaming.

Stop... just stop. You can set up Linux however you like if you know how. Google Android is based on Linux and it's user-friendly. Apple iOS is Unix-like, and while that's not technically Linux, there are a lot of similarities, and again, don't tell me it's not user-friendly. Point being, it's a highly, highly customizable OS and you can bet Valve will make SteamOS user-friendly if they're targeting the living room space.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#13muccmasterxPosted 9/23/2013 7:15:28 PM
Shub posted...
muccmasterx posted...
iceache posted...
muccmasterx posted...

Stop... just stop. You can set up Linux however you like if you know how. Google Android is based on Linux and it's user-friendly. Apple iOS is Unix-like, and while that's not technically Linux, there are a lot of similarities, and again, don't tell me it's not user-friendly. Point being, it's a highly, highly customizable OS and you can bet Valve will make SteamOS user-friendly if they're targeting the living room space.

The average person doesn't like change and will only do so if the benefits are monumental. There's a reason why Linux hasn't caught on with regular consumers at all. While I agree they'll make it more user friendly for people it still has nowhere near the software support of Windows and never will.
#14staticxtreme5Posted 9/23/2013 7:20:18 PM
I have no ties to Windows personally. If Steam offers me a way to play my entire steam library via SteamOS, I will definitely migrate to it. I really dislike what Windows is becoming, and I do think that this could be a good thing for PC gamers in the long term. The only issue I see is getting the majority of Steams games to play on the SteamOS. Maybe they can pull it off, maybe they can't. I hope they can, personally.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#15ShubPosted 9/23/2013 7:21:39 PM(edited)
A few years ago I remember people -- myself included -- saying Steam was a terrible idea, yet Valve successfully engendered a major shift in how the gaming industry functions. I don't think the possibility that SteamOS would motivate developers to abandon Windows -- or at least abandon DirectX and adopt cross-platform APIs such as OpenGL that work in both Windows and Linux -- is far-fetched. It might take years or it might bomb utterly, but it's premature to pass judgment in light of Valve's past successes.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#16JKatarnPosted 9/23/2013 7:27:42 PM(edited)
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
It's the synthesis of console gaming with PC gaming (easy to use, nice couch-friendly interface, but also supports the freedom that PC gamers have), and at the same time Valve is trying to make Linux a force to be reckoned with (through heavily supporting it and making it easy to use).

Good luck to Valve. I'd like to see this succeed. I'm definitely going to experiment with this on a virtual machine when it comes out.

They key factors will be:

1.) Automatic BIOS/driver/software updates - console gamers aren't going to want to hunt around for various updates.

2.) Price - it's going to have to be competitive as far as price/features are concerned with the consoles.

3.) Game selection

4.) Stability - the underlying modified Linux distro will need to be robust and reliable - they will have to do extensive testing.

The first three are far more important - if it's considerably more expensive/more of a (relative) bother than the consoles, casual/core console gamers likely won't bother.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#17chrcolPosted 9/23/2013 7:23:51 PM
I dont get it either, the moment something becomes a gaming box designed to sit next to a living room tv, its no longer a PC its a gaming console, so valve have the PC market sewn up with steam and they are basically now wanting to ditch that market. Thats what it looks like to me.

This steambox/os is bad news, dev's wont want to develop for linux and windows, so the ones who are onboard I can forsee ditching windows at some point, plus the games will stop been made to work well on pc monitors, mouse/keyboards and instead the streambox.
#18JKatarnPosted 9/23/2013 7:26:09 PM
muccmasterx posted...
Shub posted...
muccmasterx posted...
iceache posted...
muccmasterx posted...

The average person doesn't like change and will only do so if the benefits are monumental. There's a reason why Linux hasn't caught on with regular consumers at all. While I agree they'll make it more user friendly for people it still has nowhere near the software support of Windows and never will.

While Linux hasn't always been very user friendly, recent distros are very user friendly and stable - the main reason Linux hasn't caught on is of course because of Microsoft's ubiquitous presence in the PC hardware space - it's pre-installed on virtually every (non-Mac) PC out there, and therefore it's what people "know", it has little to do with people outright rejecting/hating Linux.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES