This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Turning master HDD into slave w/o formatting?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Turning master HDD into slave w/o formatting?

User Info: Reih

Reih
3 years ago#1
I took the plunge and ordered my new parts, but I have a bad record with HDDs dying. I know how to actually hook up my current master HDD as a slave to my coming SSD, but I'm curious about what kind of housekeeping I would need to do to it. Obviously, it's still going to have Windows on it and all the various crap it leaves floating around, so how do I best go about getting it back to pristine shape without having to format the whole thing and lose my games and music. I could move everything I want saved to my external, but the idea of transferring over a TB to my outdated external over USB sounds almost worse than just formatting the damn thing and downloading everything again.
"Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god." - Sir Francis Bacon
Ask about my Hall & Oates fanfiction!

User Info: Pyrotechnixxx

Pyrotechnixxx
3 years ago#2
Create a new partition without Windows, move all of your important data to that. Then you only have to format the partition with Windows.
Fear is a leash.

User Info: WerdnAndreW

WerdnAndreW
3 years ago#3
You could just delete the windows folders and be done with it. Otherwise you have to move all your stuff to format the drive.
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q

User Info: Reih

Reih
3 years ago#4
So, how does that work with programs? When I go to run Steam off of it, is it going to freak out because it's no longer on the master drive, or will it just see that it's now on D:\ and be good to go?
"Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god." - Sir Francis Bacon
imma level 15 cubicle drone~
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Turning master HDD into slave w/o formatting?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived