This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Turning master HDD into slave w/o formatting?

#1ReihPosted 9/23/2013 6:14:12 PM
I took the plunge and ordered my new parts, but I have a bad record with HDDs dying. I know how to actually hook up my current master HDD as a slave to my coming SSD, but I'm curious about what kind of housekeeping I would need to do to it. Obviously, it's still going to have Windows on it and all the various crap it leaves floating around, so how do I best go about getting it back to pristine shape without having to format the whole thing and lose my games and music. I could move everything I want saved to my external, but the idea of transferring over a TB to my outdated external over USB sounds almost worse than just formatting the damn thing and downloading everything again.
---
"Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god." - Sir Francis Bacon
Ask about my Hall & Oates fanfiction!
#2PyrotechnixxxPosted 9/23/2013 6:15:55 PM
Create a new partition without Windows, move all of your important data to that. Then you only have to format the partition with Windows.
---
Fear is a leash.
#3WerdnAndreWPosted 9/23/2013 6:22:35 PM
You could just delete the windows folders and be done with it. Otherwise you have to move all your stuff to format the drive.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#4Reih(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 3:58:48 PM
So, how does that work with programs? When I go to run Steam off of it, is it going to freak out because it's no longer on the master drive, or will it just see that it's now on D:\ and be good to go?
---
"Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god." - Sir Francis Bacon
imma level 15 cubicle drone~