This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will the Steambox have a disc drive?

#11SlashmanSGPosted 9/24/2013 4:46:18 AM
Well, since we don't even know if it even exists, I'm gonna say nobody knows.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#12Dark ElfPosted 9/24/2013 9:22:21 AM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Shub posted...
That would be silly. It's built around Steam, it's going to be 100% Internet-based distribution.

You can buy physical copies of Steamworks games, though. Like Skyrim.

They do that to suit consumers who still insist on physical media. The long term goal is to wean gamers off of that.
#13Last Grand MageX2Posted 9/24/2013 9:32:15 AM
While we can't answer that question definitively, we can speculate. If I'm remembering correctly, Gaben has indicated that the SteamBox is going to be a modular gaming console, meaning that individual components can be added or replaced. With that in mind, while I think it's unlikely that the base version of the SteamBox has an optical drive, I highly suspect that an optical drive will be available for the SteamBox.

Also, going back to your original point about how removing an optical drive would improve lifespan as that's a common point of failure in consoles, a modular device, assuming the ability to replace the optical drive, already fixes this problem.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#14Enigma149Posted 9/24/2013 9:33:26 AM
It probably won't be standard, though if Valve does go through with their original plan to allow other companies in addition to them produce Steamboxes and include their own features, I'd be surprised if at least one doesn't come with a Blu Ray drive, if only to play movies.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#15PhilOnDezPosted 9/24/2013 9:35:04 AM
I bought a physical copy of New Vegas and Space Marine because they were cheaper than a digital copy. I never took the discs out of the box and from what I understand only a handful of physical steam games even have the actual game on the disc. Most of them just have a steam installer.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#16CC RicersPosted 9/24/2013 9:43:33 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
from what I understand only a handful of physical steam games even have the actual game on the disc. Most of them just have a steam installer.

That can't be right. Buy a disc just to make you can download the entire game? Not for PC gaming.

What may sometimes happen is that Steam might start downloading the game even though the game is installed from the disc already, so you may have not moved the game to the correct folder, or you haven't restarted Steam after copying the files over.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#17Last Grand MageX2Posted 9/24/2013 9:52:17 AM
CC Ricers posted...
PhilOnDez posted...
from what I understand only a handful of physical steam games even have the actual game on the disc. Most of them just have a steam installer.

That can't be right. Buy a disc just to make you can download the entire game? Not for PC gaming.

What may sometimes happen is that Steam might start downloading the game even though the game is installed from the disc already, so you may have not moved the game to the correct folder, or you haven't restarted Steam after copying the files over.

Nope, I've actually known people (Canadians, admittedly) who have gotten super pissed about this very thing. They go and buy the physical copy of the game, and then they go to install it, and the disc has NOTHING on it, it's basically just a steam key on a disc. So they end up having to use some of their limited data to download a game they bought the disc for.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#18CC RicersPosted 9/24/2013 10:04:02 AM
Well, that totally kills the advantage of not needing to download large games, especially where internet connections are not that great.

I know Steam has a list of games that you can buy retail and activate on their service. Here is their list:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

So if I buy Borderlands 2 on disc, for instance, I shouldn't expect to get anything in it but the Steam key?
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#19Enigma149Posted 9/24/2013 10:05:30 AM
CC Ricers posted...
Well, that totally kills the advantage of not needing to download large games, especially where internet connections are not that great.

I know Steam has a list of games that you can buy retail and activate on their service. Here is their list:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

So if I buy Borderlands 2 on disc, for instance, I shouldn't expect to get anything in it but the Steam key?

It depends upon the game, sadly.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#20Dark ElfPosted 9/24/2013 10:44:40 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I bought a physical copy of New Vegas and Space Marine because they were cheaper than a digital copy. I never took the discs out of the box and from what I understand only a handful of physical steam games even have the actual game on the disc. Most of them just have a steam installer.

From my experience, all the physical games I've purchased have at least a portion of the data on disc. I tend to believe that those who download the entire thing are either doing something wrong or have run into a glitch (i.e. some people were complaining about having to download the entire Skyrim, but all the data is actually on disc).

On the other hand, newer games that exceed the size of a dual layered DVD might ship with incomplete data (publishers saving on manufacturing costs by not pressing a second or third disc). For instance, if a game is 10 GB in size, 6-7 GB might be installed from the disc. However, the remainder is downloaded from Steam.