This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need a little tech support guys.

#1JimilliganPosted 9/23/2013 8:12:41 PM
So I just built my first rig. Had everything hooked up and nothing happened. No lights no beeps, nothing. I assume its the PSU (Corsair500). I send it back to Newegg for a replacement. In the meantime i wanted to make sure that was the problem so I went to Micro Center and got a cheap $20 PSU to test it out. I hooked it up and hey everything ran fine. So I took it back and waited for the replacement to arrive. Got here this weekend and I hook it up and nothing happens. WTF. I go back to Micro Center and buy a different brand (CoolerMaster700). Hook it up and still nothing. The green light on the MOBO comes on but that is it.

I tried the paper clip trick to see if the PSU fan would spin and that worked. The fan started up so I'm assuming it works fine. I can't imagine i got 3 broken PSUs from different places. I see no damage on any components or anything. It just makes no sense.

Specs:
AMD FX-4130 Black
Asus M5A78L AM3+
Radeon 7850
WD 1TB
---
So say we all
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/23/2013 8:15:07 PM
Just to get it out of the way, you flipped the switch on the PSU to on before you tried turning it on right? Otherwise, the only thing I can think is that the front panel connectors aren't in correctly. Try plugging everything in and shorting the power pins with something metal and see if it turns on.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#3Jimilligan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 8:28:56 PM
I did flip the switch. I had one of the PSUs work fine. I hadn't touched anything but the power cables so all switches and connections should be no problem.
---
So say we all
#42Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 9/23/2013 8:30:41 PM
Try a different outlet if you haven't.
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#5SlaynPosted 9/23/2013 8:33:43 PM
Be prepared for some fun.

Take everything out of the computer. Place the mobo on the cardboard box. Put in only the cpu, and power supply connections ( 24 pin and 8 pin on the mobo ). Turn on the computer using the motherboard, either it has a button or you touch the two power pins with a paper clip/pen.

Does it turn on?

Add in a stick of memory, try and place the video card in, hook up the monitor, see if you get signal.

It does?

Transfer the mobo from the cardboard to the case, plug in psu connection, 1 stick of memory, and video card again, nothing more. Turn on, make sure it works.

Does it work?

Complete build.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#6Jimilligan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 8:55:02 PM
^ I did take everything off but the CPU and ram and i got nothing but i left it in the case. All that was connected to the PSU was the MOBO (24 and 4 pin). Should i just go ahead and totally disassemble?
---
So say we all
#7cow1578Posted 9/24/2013 10:14:27 AM
I had a similar problem when I changed out my PSU because I forgot to plug in the P4 connection. I'm something of an idiot. If it worked with one power supply it's possible you missed something while installing the others.

Go over everything and be absolutely CERTAIN all the necessary power cables are fully plugged in. On occasion they need a little bit of force. Otherwise yeah, take it apart, start from the beginning and meticulously reassemble it.

That may not be the issue but it's a possibility.
---
What's your nationality?
Me? I'm a drunkard.