This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SteamOS will flop.

#31IronSasquatchPosted 9/24/2013 12:17:22 PM
chungy posted...
#1 and #4 are his laughable points. Depending on who you ask, Linux either commands as much marketshare as Mac or even more than it. As for drivers, 2002 called and wants its issues back.

This is from March 2013...

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/story/70/00/012028/screen-shot-2013-03-01-at-09-22-52-620x407.png?hash=L2Z0ZwN1ZJ&upscale=1

Linux falls under the "other" category, by the way. As in, it's not large enough to be listed as its own independent piece of the pie. I understand that it has a ton of advantages, but don't kid yourself. It's a small market.
---
Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in in my head and in my heart, in my soul.
#32ab2c4Posted 9/24/2013 3:40:15 PM
I am just hearing about this. How is it supposed to work? You build your own pc and instead of installing Windows you install SteamOS instead? If that is the case I assume Nvidia and AMD will release driver versions for this OS? I'm confused about this.
#33TheOppositePosted 9/24/2013 4:03:04 PM(edited)
If SteamOS is free then it may succeed. If it can run on typical X64 hardware like Windows can and it's free, you could build a PC solely for gaming use, and provided the correct drivers and software support exist, you just saved yourself $99 by not having to buy a copy of Windows. Plus if it will work on a TV why wouldn't it work on any LCD monitor made in the last few years? They all have HDMI now. If you don't want to play PC games on a TV then you can go that route.
#34Rexdragon125Posted 9/24/2013 4:06:55 PM
It's still completely inane and pointless. There are around 400 games with Linux ports, and 7000 that are Windows only. It won't even have access to a tenth of the Steam library. Well, you could stream Windows games to it, so you'd still need Windows on a second computer. Also, your average PC user won't know how to install an OS. Linux still has less than 1% of the desktop market share, Windows 8's share is already larger. Most developers aren't gonna bother either.
#35rusty12000Posted 9/24/2013 4:11:34 PM
I hope the SteamOS does well, I just hope it also has some PC functions too like Mouse and keyboard support, and slowly add a lot of the things you see on traditional OS's like a fully functional internet browser, Libre office support, Video players. I don't really want an OS that is just an xbox.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#36vash520Posted 9/24/2013 4:12:45 PM
Considering it's free, i don't think it can flop... the worst thing it could do is be ignored.. Valve wouldn't lose any money over it but they could use the feedback for a better version in the future. I'll probably get it because why not... I enjoy Linux and anything Linux based is a-okay by me.
---
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
#37ConkerPosted 9/24/2013 10:15:00 PM
Wow, look at the comments section on that article. The mods on that site are peasants for sure. Pathetic.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#38Bazooka_PenguinPosted 9/24/2013 10:20:14 PM(edited)
vash520 posted...
Considering it's free, i don't think it can flop... the worst thing it could do is be ignored.. Valve wouldn't lose any money over it but they could use the feedback for a better version in the future. I'll probably get it because why not... I enjoy Linux and anything Linux based is a-okay by me.

Lolwot

So if a product is free, a company won't lose a money over it? You don't think a team of developers are being paid to develop the SteamOS on company time?
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#39Devil_wings00Posted 9/24/2013 10:23:25 PM
Right now it seems kind of shaky. Since it probably won't support most of the big titles at first but you can play other titles via streaming...from your windows PC ;p

I dunno for me it has no purpose but again it's free so I don't see why people care if it flops. It's not like it's going to bankrupt Valve if no one ends up using it.

Still I don't think adding a bit of competition to the OS market is a bad thing. I hope they flesh it out into a fully functioning OS and maybe we will get a decent gaming focused alternative to windows.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).