This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Saints row: is this a game where you play as Tony Stark?

#1EgdracilPosted 9/23/2013 11:54:29 PM
because it looks like him sitting on the throne there
---
http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dwm2gbc/monster/egdracil.png
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 9/23/2013 11:55:35 PM
I haven't bought the 4th one yet, but I assume thats Gat.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3Egdracil(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 12:01:10 AM
well, ive never played any of them. I only heard the title and assumed it was a some generic gangsta fps. I look at some images for the game and it turns out its quite wacky looking.
---
http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dwm2gbc/monster/egdracil.png
#4FeatherwindPosted 9/24/2013 3:23:05 AM
The game is Saints Row 4. The main character is the one who sits on the throne but you don't get the suit until the final mission. You do get most of the superpowers very early in the game and there is "wacky" clothing customization options so you can play through the game as a fantasy character.

The game is much worse than it sounds however and I don't recommend it at all. It makes Saints Row 3 seem good in comparison and it's one of the worst games I've ever played.
#5Cool_Dude667Posted 9/24/2013 3:34:10 AM
Featherwind posted...
The game is Saints Row 4. The main character is the one who sits on the throne but you don't get the suit until the final mission. You do get most of the superpowers very early in the game and there is "wacky" clothing customization options so you can play through the game as a fantasy character.

The game is much worse than it sounds however and I don't recommend it at all. It makes Saints Row 3 seem good in comparison and it's one of the worst games I've ever played.

Why was it so bad?
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#6hungry_zealotPosted 9/24/2013 4:41:42 AM
It wasn't, some people just like to overreact. The series started out as a crappy GTA knockoff, but started going down the path of wacky insanity in order to differentiate itself. 4 is just the natural progression of that design philosophy.
#7MarceloSampaioPosted 9/24/2013 5:00:48 AM
I don't think they suck. All the Saints Row games are good, but I think they gained their own identity after 3. 1 and 2 are no more than GTA clones (they are not bad though. I love SR2, BTW).

Starting with 3, they gained their own identity. They stopped being generic GTA clones, and became great action/adventure games.

4 is really a weird game, but I think its a GOOD kind of weird. Your powers are actually great, you feel like a "super anti-hero"! Stealing cars became no more than a novelty, since your powers (and a "special" kind of vehicle) makes stealing cars unnecessary.

If you go for 3 and 4 expecting just GTA clones, you'll be disappointed, but go for them expecting something different, more ridiculous (but with a fantastic story), and you WILL have fun. ;)
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#8akuma634Posted 9/24/2013 5:02:52 AM
Featherwind posted...

You have horrible taste then. To me SRIV was a 10/10 game. It's a game based on having fun and giving the player lots of options. If you can't find fun with that then it's you're problem.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#9FeatherwindPosted 9/24/2013 5:07:48 AM
The AI can't do anything to threaten or harm you. It's absolutely full of shooter filler but these parts are all boring and trivial since the AI is so incapable and you are invincible. You don't need to use your powers at all - they might help you kill the enemies slightly faster but there is no tactical or satisfying way to use them. Weapon upgrades are shallow and unnecessary too as they don't really matter at all. Just upgrade a gun and kill everything with it. Bosses are either QTE or bugged.

The graphics are one of the worst in any game ever - the game is full of really bad looking effects, the town is very ugly and bland etc. For example every time you pick up a cluster a horrible blinding effect covers the screen and annoyingly loud sound plays. There is nothing to explore really but you must collect hundreds of those clusters. Every collectible shows up on the minimap so it's just grinding.

The minigames are all shallow and uninteresting too. The concepts might sound okay but the gameplay is so shallow and bad.

The story is uninteresting. It's full of "tropes" and references but other than that it's painfully dull. It's not funny either. The character constantly try to crack jokes but it's a fail comedy. The characters are horrible except Gat.

And the developer just focuses on these uninteresting wacky tropes. There is a lot of DLC already and most of it is stuff like the 'Merica gun that are just slightly amusing concepts but don't really have any gameplay implications at all. Just looking at a screenshot of this weapon allows you to fully experience the DLC.

There is really no meaningful gameplay at all. Like 80% of the missions are tutorials, dumb jokes/references and filler. For example there is 15+ minute MGS reference mission where the game pokes fun at MGS gameplay but which is just really trivial scripted interactive movie.

hungry_zealot posted...
It wasn't, some people just like to overreact. The series started out as a crappy GTA knockoff, but started going down the path of wacky insanity in order to differentiate itself. 4 is just the natural progression of that design philosophy.

No it's not. SR4 is bad because the gameplay, graphics, story are all horrible. I don't mind the concept but the game does not become good just because the main character is a president fighting vs. aliens in a matrix. Sure the concept is amusing but it's not even close to justifying this 10 hour game. And indeed it didn't as the game is full of filler, bad comedy and shallow unconnected minigames.

And I don't overreact either. The Saints Row series could have easily been good. SR2 had a much, much better story and some of the minigames were really promising like Snatch and Drug Trafficking. It actually had some gameplay and mechanics. While it was a bit unfinished they could have made SR3 an excellent game by cutting the shallow minigames (like Septic Avenger) and adding more levels to the better ones. Instead they took this route of exploring every wacky "trope" and turning the game into a shallow interactive comedy movie.
#10akuma634Posted 9/24/2013 5:10:32 AM
hungry_zealot posted...

I don't get the "wacky insanity" thing that people use to describe the games. What is normal with gaming? Super Mario Bros is a very surreal concept if you think about it. A plumber that rides through pipes, jumps on turtles, can throw fireballs, and his quest is to save a princess from an evil reptile beast. Saints Row took the sandbox game structure and found a new angle for it. SR2 started the focus on comedy and acknowledging how crazy the protagonists of these games really are, plus it came out after GTA IV which was more focused on being a crime movie done as a game. SR3 went more in the direction of being a videogame, you're doing stuff that is typically more reserved for improbable action movies like Crank. SR4 was their take on the superhero games like Prototype and Infamous but here you get some really kickass powers early on and a lot of diverse powers all in a virtual simulation world. That's the awesome thing about Saints Row, it's variety. GTA V is awesome but in the long run, I'll be putting in more hours with Saints Row IV, especially since there are mods for it.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634