This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain what SteamOS actually is ?

#1chaos_controlrPosted 9/24/2013 12:26:22 AM
I get its an operating system but where do I acutally install it ? Will it be on a Steam console ?
#2mrCubePosted 9/24/2013 12:30:07 AM
It's probably not something you would install on a desktop computer, I think it would be more likely something you'd find on a small box connected to your TV. Mostly for streaming media, Netflix etc and light gaming. But with the added bonus of being able to stream your desktop PC games to your television.
---
---
#3claytonbuckleyPosted 9/24/2013 12:33:51 AM
I think the question you need to ask is "what is an Operating System"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+an+operating+system
---
Steam ID - Som!
Origin - Somonah
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 9/24/2013 12:38:15 AM
Its not actually out yet. Its merely been announced. Its just Valve trying to come up with an alternative to windows as they are a little worried that microsoft is going to be taking the 'walled garden' approach apple has. That is, only allow applications that have been approved by microsoft (likely meaning a cut of profits).

They are really trying to kickstart the linux side of gaming in hopes that it will always be open and easily accessible. They have a long way to go considering most graphically impressive games require directx which is a microsoft entity. So you can expect to see them pushing openGL (directx like api) and linux to other developers in the future.

While there are no concrete details as of yet, we can expect to see a basic gaming operating system similar to that of the current consoles (360 dashboard and ps3 XMB) with more functionality, likely including a robust web browser and other services. It will mostly focus on the steam storefront and your games library along with the community features.

AFAIK it will be available for download on any pc as well as come packaged in the unannounced 'steam boxes'.

Basically its a basic operating system dedicated to gaming and acts as a simpler entry point for those looking to get in on pc gaming. Way too many unanswered questions to know whether or not it will be even remotely successful in doing so though.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5TimePharaohPosted 9/24/2013 12:55:09 AM(edited)
TC I too think words are stupid
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#6chaos_controlr(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 1:02:20 AM
thnx DV8, you cleared that right up for me, cheers
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/24/2013 1:24:34 AM
I'm honestly surprised at some of the wild speculation. It's just going to be a linux distro, probably based on Ubuntu, modified for the purpose of gaming, and in particular with Steam in mind.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64