This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Total Noober here with questions to the elite master race. Sarcasm accepted

#1HypnoCooshPosted 9/24/2013 5:33:39 AM
33 yo, been gaming a long while. Mostly consoles, some early PC when i was way young.

I'm getting bored with the stale console market and currently have a PS4 on pre-order. However, the SteamOS and soon to be Steambox announcement have me thinking.

I like to game in front of my TV because that's just what I've been doing for a long while and it's all the room I really have available.

1) Will the Steambox be a standalone machine dedicated to gaming via online downloads, i.e. like Steam is now but they are providing an actual box to penetrate the console market?

2) If I wanted to break into PC gaming it is better to build a box or buy a prepackaged machine?

3) How much is needed to build a machine vs buy a pre-packaged machine.

4) Does PC gaming translate to playing in my gaming chair in front of my 46" LCD as I console game now?

I'm not sure if I want to put all my faith in the PS4 at this point or seriously consider delving into PC gaming. Or both for that matter.

Any feedback is appreciated.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#2PathlessBulletPosted 9/24/2013 5:38:50 AM
HypnoCoosh posted...
33 yo, been gaming a long while. Mostly consoles, some early PC when i was way young.

I'm getting bored with the stale console market and currently have a PS4 on pre-order. However, the SteamOS and soon to be Steambox announcement have me thinking.

I like to game in front of my TV because that's just what I've been doing for a long while and it's all the room I really have available.

1) Will the Steambox be a standalone machine dedicated to gaming via online downloads, i.e. like Steam is now but they are providing an actual box to penetrate the console market?

2) If I wanted to break into PC gaming it is better to build a box or buy a prepackaged machine?

4) Does PC gaming translate to playing in my gaming chair in front of my 46" LCD as I console game now?

I'm not sure if I want to put all my faith in the PS4 at this point or seriously consider delving into PC gaming. Or both for that matter.

1) We don't know yet, but that's the theory.

2) Always build unless you're in the $400 range then get a PS4.

3) Depends on what you need out of the system, but building a machine will get you more for less 100% of the time.

4) If you have a gamepad and the possible software (motionjoy) to make it work then sure. I just can't see you comfortably doing so with a KB&M though.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#3dekouPosted 9/24/2013 5:42:29 AM
1) We don't know, but probably.
2) I'd say the best option is finding a store that can build a custom PC for you. Where I live, it costs 50$. Alternatively, you could build a PC yourself. It's not hard, but can be intimidating.
3) Depends on what you buy, of course. Usually, pre-built PCs are far from optimal pricing wise. Some companies, like Alienware, charge extra for the brand.
4) Sure. You can even use a controller.
#4Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 5:43:15 AM
HypnoCoosh posted...

1) Most likely.

2) If you're spending more than $400, build one.

3) You can build one that can max most modern games on ultra settings, 1080p/60fps for $800-1000. If you don't need to do that you can spend less money.

Once you get into the gaming PC area pre-builts are ridiculously overpriced, but there are sites like ecollegepc that only charge a couple hundred extra to build customized PCs for you.

4) Most games aside from RTS or MMORPG games have gamepad support so you can do that, but you probably wont do too hot without KB+M in online competitive games.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5HypnoCoosh(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 5:50:16 AM
What would you guys say is the defining point(s) between console gaming vs PC gaming in terms of when it makes sense to go one way or the other?

By this I mean if I enjoy mostly SP games with a little online here and there for example Dragons Crown or Demon's Souls was a level of online I enjoy. I do not enjoy MMOs like FF14 or WoW.

If I drop my PS4 pre-order and build a machine myself I could have $1000 dollars for the build.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#6PathlessBulletPosted 9/24/2013 5:53:45 AM
HypnoCoosh posted...
What would you guys say is the defining point(s) between console gaming vs PC gaming in terms of when it makes sense to go one way or the other?

Honestly? The only reason to get a console is if A) Your budget is around $400 or B) You have friends on consoles you want to play with.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#7reincarnator07Posted 9/24/2013 5:55:29 AM
Better graphics, mods, better frame rates, more control options, cheap software (not piracy), useful for other tasks and the most important reason: PC exclusives.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#8HypnoCoosh(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 5:58:44 AM
PathlessBullet posted...
HypnoCoosh posted...

Honestly? The only reason to get a console is if A) Your budget is around $400 or B) You have friends on consoles you want to play with.

Well I don't have friends online and my budget is closer to $1000.00
---
#9SlaynPosted 9/24/2013 6:08:43 AM
Ok so on any questions on the Steambox or SteamOS or whatever... no one has a single clue, other than the small tidbit posted. If anyone posts anything outside of what small information that has been released, they are talking out their ass.

As for PC gaming on a TV, I did it for years. I recently switched to a monitor because I like the higher resolution ( 2560x1400 ) and the fact I can get 120 fps out of it, along with the much better picture quality.

Having said that, there is no reason you cannot hook up an HDMI cable to a TV, other than the logistics. Like I said, I did it for years, but I only had a TV so it is the center of my room. I hooked up my PC, cable, and PS3 to it and just switched back and forth.

If you can manage to hook up an HDMI, you can either set up a wireless keyboard and mouse and/or you can use a PS3/Xbox 360 controller wirelessly if you wish. Most games support controller on PC, except for those that would obviously suck ( RTS mostly ).
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#10PhilOnDezPosted 9/24/2013 7:07:11 AM
I gamed with a wired keyboard/mouse on my tv for a few months and it wasn't too inconvenient. I ran a ten foot USB cable from behind the pc under my rug to below my couch. I kept the m/kb on a lap tray designed for laptops (it had a built in mousepad) and it all tucked neatly beneath the couch with nothing visible when I wasn't using it.

If you don't have a rug or a couch with 6+ inches of clearance my setup probably isn't an option but there's nothing stopping you from just plugging your stuff up to the front of the pc when you want to use it. I've used wireless mouses for the longest time and so long as you keep fresh batteries in them it's not a problem but I've yet to come across a wireless keyboard I feel I could recommend for more than casual browsing/chatting. For gaming they always seem to drop key presses at the worst time and any dropped key press would be terribly annoying for typing.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez