The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is SteamOS a way to run games without windows running?

#1knightimexPosted 9/24/2013 5:09:35 AM
Or is it just a fancy GUI that's not really needed?
---
Games I'm currently playing: Star Ocean 2 (Ps1), Legend of Zelda OoT (N64).
#2Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 5:10:35 AM
Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, itís a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3knightimex(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 5:13:11 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, itís a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else.

Basically just an add on for add ons.

-_-

3/10
---
Games I'm currently playing: Star Ocean 2 (Ps1), Legend of Zelda OoT (N64).
#4SlaynPosted 9/24/2013 5:16:30 AM(edited)
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#5Darkcloud20Posted 9/24/2013 5:19:33 AM
You don't need a windows PC to play the games! As long as you have a windows pc to stream the games.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#6Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 5:21:43 AM
Steam itself has been a constantly evolving service since its debut in 2003. SteamOS will continue to deliver not only valuable game updates directly from content makers, but also regular additions and new features to the OS itself.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#7promo123Posted 9/24/2013 5:29:51 AM
I've been planning on building a PC to connect to my TV to play games, but it would be my only PC besides my old Windows XP laptop I'm using right now. Would it make any sense to get SteamOS instead of Windows 7/8?
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#8Ch3wyPosted 9/24/2013 5:31:46 AM
promo123 posted...
I've been planning on building a PC to connect to my TV to play games, but it would be my only PC besides my old Windows XP laptop I'm using right now. Would it make any sense to get SteamOS instead of Windows 7/8?

SteamOS, running on any living room machine, will provide access to the best games and user-generated content available.
---
#9SinisterSlayPosted 9/24/2013 5:46:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10cloakedboltzPosted 9/24/2013 5:55:45 AM(edited)
SteamOS allows you to stream a game from your PC to another PC. So if you have a HTPC you could probably put SteamOS on it and be able to play in your living room.

Also, you can probably run games directly on the HTPC if they run in Linux.