This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is buying and using gaming mouses still cool and in ?

#1Kano92Posted 9/24/2013 6:19:08 AM
How many of you pc gamers even use a gaming mouse for gaming on your pc ? Is buying and using gaming mouse a fade thats in the past ? Should I just use a a reg mouse and just use the dam buttons on the keyboard instead ?
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit
#2aak57Posted 9/24/2013 6:22:04 AM
Having a sensor that does what it's supposed to shouldn't be a fad, but there are still many "gaming" mice that are ill-labeled.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#3ShubPosted 9/24/2013 6:22:38 AM
I think you're misunderstanding what gaming mice are for. It's not about how many buttons they have, it's about the quality of the sensor in the mouse. Gaming mice have higher accuracy sensors. The extra buttons which some mice may have are just extra.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4SmakkyofacePosted 9/24/2013 6:22:54 AM
It really depends on your gaming style. I dont use a gaming mouse per say but it's got 8 extra buttons that has come very handy.

Its not really because it's a cool thing to do, its all about how you want your experience to be. Who cares about other people?!
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz | 32GB DDR3 1600 | SLI Evga Gtx 670 FTW | Samsung 256GB PRO | 1TB Maxtor 7200rpm RAID 0
#5ZeraphLordSPosted 9/24/2013 6:25:05 AM
sensor not the buttons

g400
deathadder
cm storm spawn

there are more with perfect sensors, but pick the one with the shape/weight/features you like
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#6SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/24/2013 6:42:55 AM
I dunno, those buttons are pretty handy. Mine only has 3 extra buttons and it has increased the enjoyment of my games immensely.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#7Bikes-Posted 9/24/2013 7:07:08 AM
I use a 5 button mouse and really couldn't go back at this point, mouse 4 is pretty much my universal voice chat button and I sometimes use 4 or 5 (in sp games) for stuff that's used a lot (melle/slomo/leaning etc etc )
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/24/2013 7:23:28 AM(edited)
There is nothing about it that is a fad.

You want something that works well and that is comfortable. There are gaming mice that fulfill these criteria. Especially when it comes to the sensor, there are a lot of regular mice that do not suffice for a lot of gamers. And I am not even talking about acceleration and prediction and all that stuff, but more basically, for a lot of people the max tracking speed on a lot of normal sensors is too low. It is something that is especially noticeable for people that play high paced games with a low sensitivity setting. A lot of mice just simply stop tracking.

Beyond that there are the more detailed and nuanced characteristics to the sensor, though you could argue that this does not really matter for everyone, and I think you are right. However, mice can also have additional features that people really enjoy. Extra buttons can be something that a lot of MMO players like. Is it necessary? Certainly not, but I can see how it can appeal to a certain kind of player.

Personally though, when I think of a mouse that is well suited to gaming, buttons are not the first thing that comes to mind. I have always done with just 2 extra side buttons and that is all I need really. To me, if there is any one defining characteristic that makes something a gaming mouse, it is probably having a superior sensor. This is also why I think a lot of mice that are being marketed as gaming mice are not really gaming mice. They may have the adjustable weights and pretty lights, but there are a lot out there that only fulfill 2 things which are high max tracking speed and high DPI. Yet too often, other things like lift off distance and acceleration are neglected.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#9ElDudorinoPosted 9/24/2013 7:24:54 AM
I think the sensor talk is a bunch of baloney and the main reason to get a "gaming" mouse IS the extra buttons, but as for whether it's still "in," well, I think you have your answer from the responses thus far!!
#10ChocobonerPosted 9/24/2013 7:27:21 AM
I don't think its really a fad, it's really a great benefit finding a mouse that fits and reacts perfectly for your standards. Not to mention you can find good gaming mice for 30 bucks-ish so why the hell not? I just grabbed this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249105&Tpk=black%20ops%202%20mouse for my new build, it's big and pretty damn bad ass. Lot of buttons though but they never get unintentionally pressed, overall it's a great mouse and seemed like a really good deal!