This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is buying and using gaming mouses still cool and in ?

#11Last Grand MageX2Posted 9/24/2013 8:40:04 AM
ElDudorino posted...
I think the sensor talk is a bunch of baloney and the main reason to get a "gaming" mouse IS the extra buttons, but as for whether it's still "in," well, I think you have your answer from the responses thus far!!

Well then, you're a fool. If you play a lot of MMOs maybe you'd really want to get a naga, or something similar, sensors be damned. Most gamers, however, buy a gaming mouse due to the fact that it'll track better, which helps for almost all games, but is practically necessary for playing FPSes.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#12ElDudorinoPosted 9/24/2013 8:46:50 AM
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
ElDudorino posted...
I think the sensor talk is a bunch of baloney and the main reason to get a "gaming" mouse IS the extra buttons, but as for whether it's still "in," well, I think you have your answer from the responses thus far!!

Well then, you're a fool. If you play a lot of MMOs maybe you'd really want to get a naga, or something similar, sensors be damned. Most gamers, however, buy a gaming mouse due to the fact that it'll track better, which helps for almost all games, but is practically necessary for playing FPSes.

Am I? Where's the data to show that people who play FPS games are better at playing when they have a gaming mouse that "tracks better?" I used to be pretty good at Unreal Tournament back before any of these mice even EXISTED and I used the ancient, heavy Microsoft Intellimouse. Back in those days people played plenty of UT, Quake 3, Quake 2, and other flavors of the month like Soldier of Fortune or Serious Sam and snap-headshots were common among good players. If they were good then, what was there to improve? And if somebody has improved over time, what's to say that this magical "better tracking" is what made the difference?

I've seen all kinds of charts showing the difference between this or that mouse but after I got my DeathAdder 3500 I played on max dpi for a few days then dropped the dpi down to something a bit more standard and I find that it's EXACTLY like my old Intellimouse except it looks cooler, fits my hand better, has side buttons, but it feels less solid and tracks on fewer surfaces than that ancient mouse. And here I am at work using some even cheaper Microsoft "Basic Optical Mouse v2.0" and it, too, works exactly the same; I point where I want it to go, and it goes there with no mistakes.
#13wizardmonPosted 9/24/2013 9:00:22 AM
ElDudorino posted...
ElDudorino posted...

Am I? Where's the data to show that people who play FPS games are better at playing when they have a gaming mouse that "tracks better?" I used to be pretty good at Unreal Tournament back before any of these mice even EXISTED and I used the ancient, heavy Microsoft Intellimouse. Back in those days people played plenty of UT, Quake 3, Quake 2, and other flavors of the month like Soldier of Fortune or Serious Sam and snap-headshots were common among good players. If they were good then, what was there to improve? And if somebody has improved over time, what's to say that this magical "better tracking" is what made the difference?

I've seen all kinds of charts showing the difference between this or that mouse but after I got my DeathAdder 3500 I played on max dpi for a few days then dropped the dpi down to something a bit more standard and I find that it's EXACTLY like my old Intellimouse except it looks cooler, fits my hand better, has side buttons, but it feels less solid and tracks on fewer surfaces than that ancient mouse. And here I am at work using some even cheaper Microsoft "Basic Optical Mouse v2.0" and it, too, works exactly the same; I point where I want it to go, and it goes there with no mistakes.

That's because highest end players of Quake and UT use generic default microsoft optical mice with 800 DPI. They have the best sensors.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#14ZeraphLordSPosted 9/24/2013 9:07:34 AM
ElDudorino posted...
ElDudorino posted...

few things to say, and only those things

quality sensors aren't new
they are typically an improvement nowdays, and honestly it's not that improbable that the gamers back then weren't using the wmo which was insanely prolific as a general use mouse)

ime has a great sensor
when we're talking about a relative input device, 1:1 is optimal
big surprise, it's two mice with renowned sensors; DPI isn't important unless you're high sens (and just look at all the mice and sens that q3ers use)

http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1907380
oh look a ime and wmo
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#15r0ge00Posted 9/24/2013 9:10:10 AM
ElDudorino posted...
words

The IE 3.0 (assuming that's what you were using) is pretty well known for having a good sensor. The DA is modeled after it, so it's a no brainer that you would like it as well.
#16SteamsterPosted 9/24/2013 9:10:11 AM
ElDudorino posted...
ElDudorino posted...

scrub
#17reincarnator07Posted 9/24/2013 9:15:19 AM
Couldn't live without mine now. My current mouse is very comfortable for me and I find a lot of uses for the extra buttons. Usually have M4 as melee in shooters, M5 as map and M6 as voice comms. I used even more of the buttons when I still played WoW.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#18Kano92(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 9:23:49 AM
This is the mouse I currently have it's always worked good. But I'd like to one with side buttons. For me gaming mouse was important that it had the extra buttons, thats the first thing I think of when I think of gaming mouses.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104360

Help me find a wireless gaming mouse simlar to this Logitech Mouse M310 ?
I like this mouse alot but it does not have enough buttons on it for pc gaming. I would like to have one that is simlar to it and has a button on each side and maybe one on top. I don't want a mouse with a huge ball on it and the contour is not crazy curvy on one side. Something medium sized nothing fancy.
---
i5 2500k | ASUS P8P67 | CORSAIR 650W | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 660 | 2TB 7200 RPM | Windows 7 64-bit
#19ElDudorinoPosted 9/24/2013 9:31:04 AM
Uhhhh, so, having a normal, everyday mouse which is EVERYWHERE and was never labeled as a "gaming" anything means you can have the best sensors around? ... so, WHAT was that point about getting a gaming mouse again?

That defeats the entire pro-"gaming" mouse argument. Well, I'm sorry that seeing through the illusion means I won't get no love from you, Steamster. :(
#20Cade6669Posted 9/24/2013 9:36:15 AM
TC, I'm assume your topic title is sarcastic and that you're looking down upon people that do buy gaming mice. I'm sorry I'm not on your level but I like having extra buttons.
---
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperKing61
I love you.