This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is buying and using gaming mouses still cool and in ?

#31Garquille14Posted 9/24/2013 12:17:26 PM(edited)
ElDudorino posted...
Uhhhh, so, having a normal, everyday mouse which is EVERYWHERE and was never labeled as a "gaming" anything means you can have the best sensors around? ... so, WHAT was that point about getting a gaming mouse again?

That defeats the entire pro-"gaming" mouse argument. Well, I'm sorry that seeing through the illusion means I won't get no love from you, Steamster. :(

~2 of the old microsoft mice with great sensors have problems or lack things that some newer alternatives have

for instance, they only operate at 125hz, have lower perfect tracking speeds, lack thumb buttons, and don't necessarily have the best shape for every hand and grip-style.

there's a variety of reasons why any of the following would be the best choice for any person, shape being the most important

copypasta mice with perfect sensors:

Zowie EC1 evo
Zowie EC2 evo
Zowie AM
Zowie FK
WMO 1.1a
Logitech G400 / G400s
Razer Deathadder
Razer Abyssus
Roccat Savu
CM Storm Spawn

there are some more, but they're hard to to get nowadays. Even the WMO may be obsoleted by either the FK or AM (I think one of them was modeled very closely to the WMO)

stop being wrong about things
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#32WerdnAndreWPosted 9/24/2013 12:31:06 PM
Chocoboner posted...
I don't think its really a fad, it's really a great benefit finding a mouse that fits and reacts perfectly for your standards. Not to mention you can find good gaming mice for 30 bucks-ish so why the hell not? I just grabbed this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249105&Tpk=black%20ops%202%20mouse for my new build, it's big and pretty damn bad ass. Lot of buttons though but they never get unintentionally pressed, overall it's a great mouse and seemed like a really good deal!

Did you ever give that guy Batman Origins?
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#33RavenoussdPosted 9/24/2013 12:45:15 PM
i'm one of those who uses that 10-15 dollar mouse from walmart (always logitech)
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#34_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 9/24/2013 12:58:04 PM
ElDudorino posted...
Last Grand MageX2 posted...
Yes, because your anecdotal evidence is an incredibly valid argument, meriting a well thought out technical response.

That's correct.

Google up the difference between a gaming mouse and regular mouse. Where is the NON-anecdotal evidence that any of this stuff matters? What, a few graphs showing a line moving upward? You can make pretty graphs to indicate anything, and if you shrink the scale enough you can make nanoseconds look hugely-important to the untrained observer. I've never seen any real evidence that any of this stuff matters, and anybody who says that it DOES matter is relying on (you guessed it) their own personal anecdotes.

Some of the benefits are not as mystical or vague as you think. Mind you that depending on how you use the mouse, differences may be more or less noticeable. Typically, differences in sensor quality are more noticeable when you use the mouse for a game in which precision and speed is required and you typically play on lower sensitivities. This is because you tend to do a lot of long sweeps at variable speeds, and pick up the mouse more often.

One thing that is very noticeable to some is lift off distance. Some mice have a much higher lift off distance which can be annoying. There can also be other irritating things that can happen with some sensors when lifting the mouse of its surface. The Phillips Twin eye sensor being an example of a sensor with quite a noticeable flaw when lifting it. This is not theoretical or strictly anecdotal. Anyone who tries it will immediately see it. Another thing that is easy to notice, though far from everyone will run into this problem, is max tracking speed. The max tracking on cheap consumer mice is usually only up to 1.5 meters per second (and that is fairly generous, often it is less), and for some people, they will completely or partially stop tracking every once in a while. Some people use over 2 meters per second to do things like fast flick shots or turning 180 degrees fast with low sensitivity. If I play Counter Strike GO on my laptop, I have to get the mouse from my desktop. With my settings (windows sensitivity 6/11, ingame sensitivity 1.75, cheap mouse native DPI... maybe 300?) I easily run into that problem on both the cheap logitech and Dell mouse we have around the house.

Then there are all the little things that are not as easy to see or notice. Acceleration is one of them. I think it gets more attention than it deserves because all modern sensors do an adequate job of avoiding acceleration (even the modern laser sensors). That is, the way the cursor moves when software acceleration is turned off, is dependent on the distance the mouse traveled, and not the speed at which it traveled. This gives sort of a one-to-one relation between the cursor and hand movement. Adding speed into the equation is generally thought off as a bad thing, though it can have it's use , and acceleration is not hated in every game. Prediction is another thing that is quite noticeable. Though for gaming, a lot of people are of the opinion it does not matter. Though for some other tasks, prediction can be annoying.

DPI is one of the things that creates the biggest misconception about gaming mice. There is an entire generation of PC gamers that believes that a good sensor and a good gaming mouse should have a high DPI since it should be either "more precise" or because it is "faster". But in reality, DPI beyond 1000 or so is no more useful of a spec than that 10.000.000:1 "Dynamic contrast" on your monitor. It is just on the box to sell. This is where I do agree that a lot of gaming mice are just a gimmick, not offering any useful features.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#35BogePosted 9/24/2013 2:28:52 PM
The only thing I notice about my gaming mouse is that it has more buttons. For the standard gamer, that's really all you'll notice.

I have a brother that has been gaming as long as me (way long), and he still buys the Microsoft Intellimouse for like $10.

So, I don't think it really matters that much. Just find one you like the feel of and that does what you desire for buttons and DPI.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.