This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about free video editing software?

#1Silver Shadow XPosted 9/24/2013 9:21:29 AM(edited)
Last night I finally got around to trying to edit a video using Windows Movie Maker, and it wasn't quite as complicated as I expected. To make a long story short though, when trying to edit out parts of a video using the split feature, it seems difficult to make it precise. As in, I try to cut out a scene or frame, and I have to pretty much lower my mouse settings drastically, drag the bar at a crawl, and hope I landed at the very beginning.

If I don't succeed (and it seems impossible to do so), I end up with that half instant of the clip I wanted to remove still showing up. My question is, is there a way to make this process easier in WMM? it must have taken me a half hour just to successfully edit out parts of 25 seconds of a video. If not with WMM, is there free software that can? I want to edit out down to the milliseconds essentially, and WMM doesn't seem good for it at a glance..

I'm aware that people tend to recommend Sony Vegas for this kind of thing, but I'm not serious enough about video editing to want to pay that much money. Same with photoshop -_-. A shame really, since it seems like it'd make for some fun projects. I just need simple features though.

tl;dr I want software or WMM advice that will let me edit things out of a video down to the milliseconds without a hassle/serious threat to my wrist for the effort.

Thanks for any help.
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#2KillerTrufflePosted 9/24/2013 9:42:57 AM
I haven't really seen any great, precise video editors for free. If you're OK with "relatively cheap" rather than free, look at Sony Vegas Platinum or Adobe Premiere Elements. Either of those should give you very precise editing functions. I believe I've seen Vegas on sale for around $40 before, and I've seen it pretty often at $60-70... In terms of cost for relatively powerful video editors, that's pretty dirt cheap.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3NicodimusPosted 9/24/2013 9:46:46 AM
Corel VideoStudio X6.
---
Intel i5 4670k | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#4El MagnificoPosted 9/24/2013 10:10:20 AM
If you're just looking to trim a video clip, then Avidemux can give you that level of precision. You can select frames to remove down to the millisecond. However, in some cases Avidemux will only let you trim down to a keyframe to avoid rendering problems.
#5KillerTrufflePosted 9/24/2013 4:02:21 PM(edited)
I actually just checked back in my purchase history, and it appears I got Sony Vegas Platinum from Amazon a couple years ago - for $13. It's an excellent editor, and totally worth $13, if you can find it for that. heh

EDIT: That's Vegas Platinum 11 Suite - comes with some other software too. Looks like Amazon currently sells it for around $30-40 since it's not the current version, but it's still worth it. I've actually heard some of the newer versions are not as good.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6Silver Shadow X(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 5:57:42 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I actually just checked back in my purchase history, and it appears I got Sony Vegas Platinum from Amazon a couple years ago - for $13. It's an excellent editor, and totally worth $13, if you can find it for that. heh

EDIT: That's Vegas Platinum 11 Suite - comes with some other software too. Looks like Amazon currently sells it for around $30-40 since it's not the current version, but it's still worth it. I've actually heard some of the newer versions are not as good.

Ok, the stuff in your original post weren't too appealing, but $13-$40 sounds much better. I may actually keep an eye out for that sale. Nicodimus posted...
Corel VideoStudio X6.

That's $80. Would sooner just get the ever popular Sony Vegas.

El Magnifico posted...
If you're just looking to trim a video clip, then Avidemux can give you that level of precision. You can select frames to remove down to the millisecond. However, in some cases Avidemux will only let you trim down to a keyframe to avoid rendering problems.

Ok, that sounds like what I want. I actually went ahead and downloaded it to give it a try, but it's certainly not quite as obvious as Movie Maker was. I'll probably have to find some guides to do editing with this, since I currently don't see how to use it at all >_.> lol. Thanks for the recommendation though. Free means I can try it immediately.
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#7Chaos_MissilePosted 9/24/2013 6:09:21 PM
I periodically use something called VirtualDub. Note sure if its what you're looking for but iut gets the job done for me, most of the time.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#8kbe2k2Posted 9/24/2013 6:19:21 PM
I'll second Avidemux, use it all the time for quick video editing and for making gifs.
#9JimmyGibbsJRPosted 9/24/2013 6:39:26 PM
Lightworks.
#10MaKhaosPosted 9/24/2013 6:46:46 PM
vdub
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]