This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is piracy a gateway crime to other more serious crimes?

#91TimePharaohPosted 9/24/2013 11:58:43 PM
Kosba_2142 posted...
TheFeshPince posted...
Kosba_2142 posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Oh, what did I say earlier? I can't believe this thread even exists still.

http://i.imgur.com/kT7EWHd.png

Try again buttercup

I, for one, am glad your post got deleted. I felt my personal safety was at risk due to your clear violent tendencies.

Thank you GameFAQ's moderators for being intelligent, diligent, and all around good people.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#92TheMadTokerPosted 9/25/2013 1:31:36 AM
this topic has pleased me greatly
---
Steam: TheMadToker420 - Origin: TheMadToker
http://www.mektek.net/forums/forum/30-mechwarrior4-free-release/ <---Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, for free!
#93Flaktrooper123Posted 9/25/2013 2:17:49 AM
"I used to be a pirate like you, until I took an arrow in the knee."
#94ConkerPosted 9/25/2013 3:40:57 AM
Combo Master posted...
No not in the slightest. It takes a messed up brain and mind state to do real crimes. Downloading games is something people do because they don't wanna spend any money on games if they don't have to

While I don't personally care and I'm not one of those people that would ever say "OMG you pirate stuff, you're a criminal!!!" Your concept of a "real crime" is really skewed.

You described exactly what people do when they commit crimes in regards to theft or fraud...they acquire something because they don't want to spend money if they don't have to.

I understand that pirating is nothing more from a physical aspect than some bandwidth and storage space on a server, but that doesn't make it any less of a "real crime" in the fact that crimes are defined by laws, they're not defined by right or wrong (ethics, state of mind, etc).

You don't have to be messed up in the head to commit a "real" crime, you can ethically have all of the reason to do so and many times people are justified in doing so from their morals, but the law will see otherwise because it's simply defined as a crime and we follow those rules (most of the time, obviously there are exceptions).

With the type of thinking in your post, I actually would agree with the topic, lol.

Honestly, I don't pirate because I make good money and have never felt I needed to acquire "free" stuff outside of a few songs that I'd never heard before but were recommended to me back years ago before Youtube and other sites had readily available content and when I was still a teen and didn't think about the whole "pirating" morals/ethics aspect. I still don't care if others do it, but I wouldn't ever say it's not a crime (if there are laws against it) and that it doesn't lead to other thinking in regards to worth of things...it does devalue intellectual property and the perspective people have of others stuff, even if they don't explicitly act upon it, I think it offers the thinking of entitlement which could more likely lead to someone stealing physical content because they'd justify it not harming someone by taking it and being available, just like they wouldn't see the harm of getting a digital item for nothing.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#95TheMadTokerPosted 9/25/2013 10:17:44 PM
I like pirates with parrots.
---
Steam: TheMadToker420 - Origin: TheMadToker
http://www.mektek.net/forums/forum/30-mechwarrior4-free-release/ <---Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, for free!
#96TimePharaohPosted 9/25/2013 10:24:46 PM
Conker posted...
Combo Master posted...
No not in the slightest. It takes a messed up brain and mind state to do real crimes. Downloading games is something people do because they don't wanna spend any money on games if they don't have to

While I don't personally care and I'm not one of those people that would ever say "OMG you pirate stuff, you're a criminal!!!" Your concept of a "real crime" is really skewed.

You described exactly what people do when they commit crimes in regards to theft or fraud...they acquire something because they don't want to spend money if they don't have to.

I understand that pirating is nothing more from a physical aspect than some bandwidth and storage space on a server, but that doesn't make it any less of a "real crime" in the fact that crimes are defined by laws, they're not defined by right or wrong (ethics, state of mind, etc).

You don't have to be messed up in the head to commit a "real" crime, you can ethically have all of the reason to do so and many times people are justified in doing so from their morals, but the law will see otherwise because it's simply defined as a crime and we follow those rules (most of the time, obviously there are exceptions).

With the type of thinking in your post, I actually would agree with the topic, lol.

Honestly, I don't pirate because I make good money and have never felt I needed to acquire "free" stuff outside of a few songs that I'd never heard before but were recommended to me back years ago before Youtube and other sites had readily available content and when I was still a teen and didn't think about the whole "pirating" morals/ethics aspect. I still don't care if others do it, but I wouldn't ever say it's not a crime (if there are laws against it) and that it doesn't lead to other thinking in regards to worth of things...it does devalue intellectual property and the perspective people have of others stuff, even if they don't explicitly act upon it, I think it offers the thinking of entitlement which could more likely lead to someone stealing physical content because they'd justify it not harming someone by taking it and being available, just like they wouldn't see the harm of getting a digital item for nothing.

It's a crime because it's labelled as a crime, yes, same as all crimes.

But no, it doesn't necessarily devalue anything or lead to the loss of anything. If I steal a physical object, regardless of what it is or if I want it, it's gone. Someone lost something. Now if I pirate something that I never had any intention on purchasing in the first place, and if piracy didn't exist I would simply never have it, then literally nothing was lost or taken from anybody. And obviously people don't only download things they don't really want (lol), but it's probably the first crime that you can't simply copy and paste and compare to everything. Piracy and theft don't have to be equivalent
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#97su27ChaosPosted 9/25/2013 10:38:28 PM
lol @ pirates. They would scare **** when they see a real pirate. Talking about AK-47s and speed boats.
---
American products is good go buy them.