This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is a good microphone for recording LP's?

#11Bigj089Posted 9/24/2013 12:14:38 PM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S

If you're not concerned about appearance, you can build your own pop filter (a must if you want any sort of decent quality from your mic by avoiding blowing out your hard consonants) for cheap. OK pop filters are getting cheaper now tho it seems (they averaged around $20 when I was looking). You can find one in the neighborhood of $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Nady-MPF-7-Mic-Pop-Filter/dp/B000FA38VI

An embroidery ring with $0.99 panty hose stretched through it works just as well tho.

EDIT: Actually, panty hose with an embroidery ring can sometimes work *better* than commercial pop filters - read reviews on commercial ones, and keep in mind that the homemade style works absolutely flawlessly. They can just be a bit more clunky and don't look that wonderful, but results are perfect.

My only problem is, I have no way of using a desk microphone without a desk, that's why I was using a headset.

Ah. Well I dont know a lot about headsets other than the cheaper ones tend to have only so so mics. Id say you could look into getting a mic stand though.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#12KillerTrufflePosted 9/24/2013 12:17:30 PM
So how are you doing these let's plays? Laptop actually sitting on your lap? You seriously have zero flat surface at all available to set a mic?

I have yet to see a headset mic that has what I'd call "good" quality... some have sounded fair, but nothing great.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 12:23:32 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
So how are you doing these let's plays? Laptop actually sitting on your lap? You seriously have zero flat surface at all available to set a mic?

I have yet to see a headset mic that has what I'd call "good" quality... some have sounded fair, but nothing great.

I'm sitting on my couch and the computer is on a stand in front of it.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orlando Magic - Off-Season
#14O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 1:15:46 PM(edited)
The Sennheiser microphone has beautiful quality (from what I can tell) but it's just not picking me up loud enough. It sounds like I'm whispering into the mic.
---
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
#15O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 6:22:16 PM
Bump
---
#16Dark973Posted 9/24/2013 6:54:24 PM
If you are using a laptop it might be the onboard sound card. A lot of the better analog mics require a powered Mic In port. I recently got a modmic and on my onboard realtek I sounded very muffled and far away. Had an old creative 4 and now it sounds great. The difference...a powered mic in port!

But as a let's play watcher please get rid of the headset! Burn it and forget headsets exist. Get a good $60+ mic and everyone will love you for it. I've used the samson c01u and it sounds great. A lot of the let's players I watch use it or its big brother c03u and I think I like the sound of them over the yetis.
#17O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 7:13:11 PM
Dark973 posted...
If you are using a laptop it might be the onboard sound card. A lot of the better analog mics require a powered Mic In port. I recently got a modmic and on my onboard realtek I sounded very muffled and far away. Had an old creative 4 and now it sounds great. The difference...a powered mic in port!

But as a let's play watcher please get rid of the headset! Burn it and forget headsets exist. Get a good $60+ mic and everyone will love you for it. I've used the samson c01u and it sounds great. A lot of the let's players I watch use it or its big brother c03u and I think I like the sound of them over the yetis.

Does the CO1U come with a stand?
---
#18O_Town_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 8:56:11 PM
Dark973 posted...

Question, how good is the mic? Because we only have about $150 and the mics will run is about $172 at Best Buy. Is it really that good?
---
#19TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 9/24/2013 9:04:43 PM
The AT2020 USB is also a good option.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#20Dark973Posted 9/25/2013 2:33:45 AM
O_Town_Rulez posted...
Dark973 posted...

Question, how good is the mic? Because we only have about $150 and the mics will run is about $172 at Best Buy. Is it really that good?

172? Need more than one? I think the other day I saw it for around 90. Now if you a floor stand I think you can use one with this Mic. I've seen one person use a stand but most have it on the desk.