This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Counter Strike: GO using 100Mb per hour?

#1Shark_LaserPosted 9/24/2013 10:34:44 AM
I recently got (sort of) high speed internet for the first time. I'm using a Verizon MiFi hotspot that gets roughly 4Mbps and I have a 5Gb monthly bandwidth cap.

I started playing CS:GO a few weeks ago, and I've noticed my data usage has shot up. To narrow it down, I installed a bandwidth monitor. Yesterday, my computer was on from midnight until 5pm sitting idle. It used 30Mb of data during that time. Around 5pm, I started playing CS:GO and from 5pm - 8pm my computer used 350Mb of data.

Is it normal for games to use that much data? It makes it pretty much impossible for me to play CS:GO. Since this is my first time having internet sufficient to play online, I've been playing a lot. 50 hours of CS:GO will eat up my entire month's bandwidth, and that's not even counting regular browsing/etc.

Maybe it's because I'm using the voice chat on CS:GO, as well? Any ideas?
---
Look at yourself in the mirror, and tell me what a man is without pride. Tell me what a man is without fire in his eyes. Tell me who the f*** you are.
#2WerdnAndreWPosted 9/24/2013 10:39:25 AM
If you server jump a lot then you could be downloading a bunch of custom sounds and maps.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#3Shark_Laser(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 10:40:55 AM
I only play Classic Competitive, so I wouldn't be downloading anything, right? I thought you only downloaded with custom maps.
---
Look at yourself in the mirror, and tell me what a man is without pride. Tell me what a man is without fire in his eyes. Tell me who the f*** you are.
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 9/24/2013 10:42:22 AM
...27kbps? Sounds about right.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#5wizardmonPosted 9/24/2013 10:44:14 AM
Shark_Laser posted...
I only play Classic Competitive, so I wouldn't be downloading anything, right? I thought you only downloaded with custom maps.

Depends on if the server has custom sounds, models, admin models, banner textures, scripts, mods and such.
Depending on how many people are in the server, how many people are talking, and how often they are talking it's possible to hit 100Mb in an hour.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Mb or MB?
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6Shark_Laser(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 10:47:12 AM
Ah, I didn't realize each server could have custom features on Competitive. I assumed it was all "stock".

Sorry, I always confuse Mb and MB. I meant to say MB rather then Mb.
---
#7Alyzabeth1990Posted 9/24/2013 10:54:01 AM
I have data cap too and it sucks. I get 12 gb and tether through my phone. Can't get jack where I live
#8Shark_Laser(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 12:24:54 PM
wizardmon posted...
Shark_Laser posted...

Depends on if the server has custom sounds, models, admin models, banner textures, scripts, mods and such.
Depending on how many people are in the server, how many people are talking, and how often they are talking it's possible to hit 100Mb in an hour.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Mb or MB?

I just realized you emphasized that 100Mb per hour was possible. Does that mean that something else is going on since I'm using 100MB?
---
#9Kokuei05Posted 9/24/2013 12:32:45 PM
ITT: casuals that play with horrible rates.

At 64 tick for classic competitive; 100MB is normal. If you play at 128 tick 200MB+ is possible.. Everything being vanilla.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
#10Kokuei05Posted 9/24/2013 12:34:04 PM
Ah, I didn't realize each server could have custom features on Competitive. I assumed it was all "stock".

Sorry, I always confuse Mb and MB. I meant to say MB rather then Mb.

It's all stock. Gamefaqs players don't play competitive enough to know the difference between servers hosted by Valve compared to 3rd party.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y