This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Considering the many versions of DirectX 11...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Considering the many versions of DirectX 11...
3 years ago#1
I think it's time OpenGL made a comeback. I mean, there's the base DX11, which is getting used in more number of games gradually, DX 11.1, only BF4 uses AFAIK. And now there's a 11.2.

Seriously was there any need to make two extra versions for incremental upgrades to the base DX11 implementation before it's potential's been reached? I mean, how're the devs gonna code for all three versions of it and keep the playing field fair?
Intel C2D E7500 | Intel DG41RQ | CM GX550W Bronze | ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU | 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM | Seagate 320GB HDD | Hitachi 250GB HDD | Win Vista SP2
3 years ago#2
Devs are remarkably stupid about this.
openGL is faster
OpenGL supports more platforms

So they use directX instead.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
3 years ago#3
I think openGL should make a comeback, but that sure as hell isn't why.
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
3 years ago#4
I tried googling the differences, it looks like OpenGL hasn't advanced very far in recent years and still only barely provides directX 9 functionality.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
3 years ago#5
That experiment Valve carried out using Left 4 Dead 2 on Linux using OpenGL...that was a huge stunner to those that doubted OpenGL and Linux's gaming capabilites.
Intel C2D E7500 | Intel DG41RQ | CM GX550W Bronze | ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU | 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM | Seagate 320GB HDD | Hitachi 250GB HDD | Win Vista SP2
3 years ago#6
ive got so many versions of direct X and Microsoft visual redistrisbutable its irratating
http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dwm2gbc/monster/egdracil.png
3 years ago#7
jelly2008 posted...
That experiment Valve carried out using Left 4 Dead 2 on Linux using OpenGL...that was a huge stunner to those that doubted OpenGL and Linux's gaming capabilites.

This is what I found, but it's a bit old.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-directx,2019-10.html
3 years ago#8
SinisterSlay posted...
openGL is faster

DirectX is a visual/audio solution. OpenGL only does graphics.
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
3 years ago#9
ChromaticAngel posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
openGL is faster

Fine, OpenGL is Direct3d
OpenAL is DirectSound
???? is directInput, which devs are to lazy to use anymore.
3 years ago#10
SinisterSlay posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
openGL is faster

Fine, OpenGL is Direct3d
OpenAL is DirectSound
???? is directInput, which devs are to lazy to use anymore.

This. It's just a matter of the game engine integrating them perfectly.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Considering the many versions of DirectX 11...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived