This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Considering the many versions of DirectX 11...

#21SinisterSlayPosted 9/25/2013 2:08:32 PM
CC Ricers posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Devs are remarkably stupid about this.
openGL is faster
OpenGL supports more platforms

So they use directX instead.

DirectX is a visual/audio solution. OpenGL only does graphics.

Fine, OpenGL is Direct3d
OpenAL is DirectSound
???? is directInput, which devs are to lazy to use anymore.

DirectInput is still pretty good for gamepads, and for open source SDL is good enough for gamepads and keyboards. Lots of Unreal and Source games use SDL in their Linux versions.

They use xinput now, and don't bother to make anything other than x360 gamepads work.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#22AlleRacingPosted 9/25/2013 2:22:54 PM
jelly2008 posted...
Yep. No comparisons of DX 11.2 to OGL 4.4.

On a side-note, which game engines currently support an OpenGL renderer?

I think Source and idTech5 do.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#23TheWayOfTheGunPosted 9/25/2013 3:25:05 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
CC Ricers posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Devs are remarkably stupid about this.
openGL is faster
OpenGL supports more platforms

So they use directX instead.

Fine, OpenGL is Direct3d
OpenAL is DirectSound
???? is directInput, which devs are to lazy to use anymore.

DirectInput is still pretty good for gamepads, and for open source SDL is good enough for gamepads and keyboards. Lots of Unreal and Source games use SDL in their Linux versions.

They use xinput now, and don't bother to make anything other than x360 gamepads work.

I don't really see anything wrong with that. The 360 is controller is the best out there and if the people with little girl hands really want to plug in a PS3 or logitech equivalent, they can do so with ease, using a plugin.
#24SinisterSlayPosted 9/25/2013 4:39:32 PM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...

I don't really see anything wrong with that. The 360 is controller is the best out there and if the people with little girl hands really want to plug in a PS3 or logitech equivalent, they can do so with ease, using a plugin.

Don't be stupid. PC is about choice. Xinput removed choice. Now you have to get an x360 or look alike gamepad instead of using a gamepad I already have.
Previously, you could use any controller you want, want to play a fighting game with a steering wheel, you can with directinput.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#25arleasPosted 9/25/2013 4:42:49 PM
ive got so many versions of direct X and Microsoft visual redistrisbutable its irratating

Sorta on this same topic: I saw someone here post a few months ago about something called "tikione steam cleaner"
http://steamcleaner.tikione.fr/en/

So Anyway, I used that, and it pulled like 5 or 6 gigs worth of useless install files off my hard drive... Apparently every time you install a game on steam it leaves all that junk behind taking up space... Most of this is due to the fact that microsoft doesn't let people just give the appropriate files... no, you have to have the full directX installer EVERY TIME even if all your game is ever going to use is DirectX 9 or whatever...and hell, there were about 3-5 versions of that too..
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7PNnZ8.gif
#26AsellusPosted 9/25/2013 5:13:40 PM
I tried googling the differences, it looks like OpenGL hasn't advanced very far in recent years and still only barely provides directX 9 functionality.

OpenGL 4 should be more or less feature-identical as DX11. Newest version's 4.4.

But it's not like Audio's hard to do and there are a ton of multiplatform audio options available. Heck, I don't think most DX games even use it for sound or at least will include an option to not use it.

Yes but this makes me wonder about openGL.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-directx,2019-10.html

3.0 was a bit underwhelming but in 3.1 most of the old-slow way of doing things (ie the cpu-bound fixed-function pipeline) was depreciated and by 3.3 fully removed.
#27StarksPosted 9/25/2013 5:35:54 PM
I tried googling the differences, it looks like OpenGL hasn't advanced very far in recent years and still only barely provides directX 9 functionality.

Supporting tessellation is barely DX9?
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#28jelly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 7:48:38 PM
Hope UE4 supports OpenGL when it comes out.
---
Intel C2D E7500 | Intel DG41RQ | CM GX550W Bronze | ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU | 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM | Seagate 320GB HDD | Hitachi 250GB HDD | Win Vista SP2
#29darkstar4221Posted 9/25/2013 9:30:50 PM(edited)
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Comparing DirectX 11 to OpenGL 3?
Why not just compare DX9 to GLIDE?

Carmack himself said DX was superior to OpenGL in 2011. DX11 and OpenGL 4.1 (or was it 4.2) had already been out. Then Valve compared their L4D2 build of Source's renderer using DX9c (nearly a decade old) and some version of OpenGL and claimed OpenGL is faster than DX. Valve isn't even fit to make such a claim. All of their tech is archaic, compared to modern engines like Unreal Engine 3.x, Cryengine 3, Frostbite 3, etc Source looks like an outdated toy. Even its SDK and tools - like Hammer - are ass backwards and stuck in the 90s. Valve is full of ****

Whether Direct X is better than Open GL is not the point. Direct X is just a way for MS to entrench their monopoly you should know that. You would never see Direct X cross platform like the way Open GL is because MS would lose market share. MS wants all the support for themselves while doing their best to make sure their software is incompatible with the competition.

Microsoft doesn't give a 2 cents abouts open standards, their standard is everything that is compatible with windows won't be compatible with any other operating system.

Unfortunately Microsoft IS a monopoly because they have all the gaming support while the competition has very little, so Microsoft achieved it's agenda. The nightmare is a reality.
#30AsellusPosted 9/25/2013 9:55:08 PM
Whether Direct X is better than Open GL is not the point. Direct X is just a way for MS to entrench their monopoly you should know that. You would never see Direct X cross platform like the way Open GL is because MS would lose market share. MS wants all the support for themselves while doing their best to make sure their software is incompatible with the competition.

Microsoft doesn't give a 2 cents abouts open standards, their standard is everything that is compatible with windows won't be compatible with any other operating system.

Unfortunately Microsoft IS a monopoly because they have all the gaming support while the competition has very little, so Microsoft achieved it's agenda. The nightmare is a reality.

Not really. Honestly OGL's probably more prevalent than its ever been at this point - mainly due to the fact that it's the only open standard for 3d graphics hence is used on virtually everything that isn't Windows. Linux, OSX, iOS, Android - all OpenGL platforms. Varients of it are used in two out of the three consoles. There's not even any particular reason you can't use it on Windows other than "Everyone here uses Direct3d" self-propagating itself.