This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so my boss is sellin me his old HP LP2475w IPS panel...

#1HydroCannabinolPosted 9/24/2013 12:36:47 PM
For $150.00. I know this is a great deal, but it really sucks its a 16:10 display.. most games I have seen stop at 1920x1080 but obviously the newer games support better resolutions. I'm worried about stuff like sc2 where I've read you lose fov etc..

Anyone have any opinions on this? Is it a great monitor? 16:10 aspect ratio cool?

Currently I have a trashy 20" standard lcd I bought for like a hundred bucks.

Also, any recommendations on calibration software? Ima have to research it because I know I need to calibrate this baby.

Thanks
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#2ShubPosted 9/24/2013 12:38:01 PM
If it bothers you, you can always run your games at 1920x1080. You'll just have black bars at the top and bottom but there won't be any distortion.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3MaKhaosPosted 9/24/2013 12:38:12 PM
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#4HydroCannabinol(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 5:47:57 PM
Ya Shub, I wanna avoid the distortion etc. and whats the point of having a bigger display if there are black bars. :(

I know it's the only solution, it just sucks.

To the other poster, I read that review and it seems nice. I kinda wanted user reviews and opinions of this board etc. I guess IPS is old news but it's new to me! xD

I have it plugged in now, just realized hardware calibration is like the only way to truly calibrate this. Apparently the stock colors are horrible in that review but they said after calibrated it's nice...

*sigh*

I'ma have to try software I guess for now. TBH at default it seems worse than my 'hanspree' display but maybe I'm used to the other quality?
---
#5ShubPosted 9/24/2013 5:52:18 PM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Ya Shub, I wanna avoid the distortion etc. and whats the point of having a bigger display if there are black bars. :(

I wouldn't mind. I like 1920x1080 better for games and movies, and 1920x1200 better for everything else.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6BowsaaPosted 9/24/2013 5:59:11 PM
Whether you gain or lose FoV depends on the game and how it's set up for FoV. For most things, and ideally for games, 16:10 is miles better. It'll be fine for games even if you lose a slight bit of view. Enjoy it, I was sort of disappointed that I could only get a 1080P monitor because 1200P ones were too expensive.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#7HydroCannabinol(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 6:53:51 PM
Alright thanks guys, I feel better now. xD

Just tried SC2 at 1080 and the black bars are fine.

Whats killing me is how frustrating it is to try and calibrate the colors by your eye.. I'm using the HP program for the monitor, but I swear it all looks the same haha. I've tried a few different setups that other people have used, but I still can't tell which is best. I notice that the picture is different every time, but I can't tell which one is better etc.. gahh

What sucks is that review that was done states how horrible the color accuracy of this monitor is by default. After hardware calibration, however, this monitor is supposed to be really good. Out of the factory is really crappy though, so now I'm paranoid that my colors are garbage haha.

Is it not a big deal for gaming? I wasn't sure if it's only important for photo editing etc. For now I'm leaving all colors at defaults and just lowing the brightness a bit for my taste. Meh
---
#8HydroCannabinol(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 7:10:22 PM
Bowsaa posted...
Whether you gain or lose FoV depends on the game and how it's set up for FoV. For most things, and ideally for games, 16:10 is miles better. It'll be fine for games even if you lose a slight bit of view. Enjoy it, I was sort of disappointed that I could only get a 1080P monitor because 1200P ones were too expensive.

Just tried it on CS. You definitely lose some FoV which is sorta important in competitive CS... oh well.
---