This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you pay for a service that offered games at cost?

#11Kokuei05Posted 9/24/2013 1:38:08 PM(edited)
It feels like this topic comes up like once a month. The only difference being a 3rd party company doing it as opposed to a Steam subscription service.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAZnjFbOyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbxOaq6_i1Y
#12Lexxxicon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 1:38:41 PM
Yeah, physical retailers don't make much off of new games or systems which is why they push used games so much. Digital retailers are a bit better off because costs are a lot lower (especially with sites like GMG or Amazon where they are just selling you a key so they don't even need to pay for the bandwidth required to download the game).
---
Lexxxicon
#13matu90rkPosted 9/24/2013 1:43:42 PM
Would the CD-keys / codes be Russian?
#14KillerTrufflePosted 9/24/2013 1:47:42 PM
After skimming and not even fully reading the first post, no, I certainly would not. Steam is free, and I already get games for significantly cheaper there than the prices you mentioned.

Also, I'm curious how "at cost" is defined. Do you mean at the cost retailers have to pay the manufacturer per physical copy? What is this "at cost" figure?

I typically end up paying in the neighborhood of $20-25 for $60 games, and I DON'T pay any subscription fees. So the service being suggested here is pretty horrible from my perspective. No way in hell I'd pay for that.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#15FaPaThYPosted 9/24/2013 1:57:43 PM
Nope. With GMG and other sites, you can already get those prices and lower without having to pay a 'service' fee.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#16KillerTrufflePosted 9/24/2013 2:03:11 PM
There would definitely need to be some sort of significant, tangible benefit to convince me to pay a subscription fee. Discounts would need to be LOWER than Steam sales prices - i.e. $60 game for $15. And it would need to not be a gamble based on community vote, because I'm not paying a subscription fee regardless of discount if the only games available each month are going to be Sims 3, Call of Duty 9000, etc.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#17Nagisa_ShinjuPosted 9/24/2013 2:06:07 PM
Services like this usually offer a service first, which one pays for. The sale of the games comes secondary.

For example...

Playstation Plus - You pay for the service, which includes cloud back ups, exclusive content, "free" games, and discounts on various items. You aren't paying for the discounts directly but for a group of services.

Netfix - You pay for rentals, but can stream movies as well

Gamefly - You pay for rentals but get exclusive sales and PC "rentals".

As you can see, you don't just pay for the ability to pay at a discount. IMO, people want more than just that.
#18Lexxxicon(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 2:18:27 PM(edited)
Thanks for the continued feedback.

The service would be aimed at people who buy games around the time of release and don't wait 6 months or a year for Steam sales which I know most people (including myself) do. I typically only buy 2-3 games at launch per year and I think that is probably typical for most gamers.

Here is how I can see the service saving people money.

- You pay $5 (not per month since nobody seems to like that idea) and have 1 year from that date to purchase 3 games at whatever price I get them from publisher for. You could get Battlfield 4 on release for ~$50 (instead of $60 on Amazon or Origin), Dark Souls II when it gets released next year for $46 (again, instead of $60) and, say, Grand Theft Auto V when it is released for PC for $50 (instead of $60). You would save $20-30 dollars

I just guessed the prices since it appears that while the average cost for a $60 game for retailers is $48, larger publishers charge $50-52 for big releases which is why I have Battlfield 4 and GTAV at $50 and Dark Souls II, a smaller title, at $46.

It wouldn't just be for $60 games though. Indie games and budget titles would also be included.
---
Lexxxicon
#19SinisterSlayPosted 9/24/2013 2:35:32 PM
Lexxxicon posted...
Thanks for the continued feedback.

The service would be aimed at people who buy games around the time of release and don't wait 6 months or a year for Steam sales which I know most people (including myself) do. I typically only buy 2-3 games at launch per year and I think that is probably typical for most gamers.

Here is how I can see the service saving people money.

- You pay $5 (not per month since nobody seems to like that idea) and have 1 year from that date to purchase 3 games at whatever price I get them from publisher for. You could get Battlfield 4 on release for ~$50 (instead of $60 on Amazon or Origin), Dark Souls II when it gets released next year for $46 (again, instead of $60) and, say, Grand Theft Auto V when it is released for PC for $50 (instead of $60). You would save $20-30 dollars

I just guessed the prices since it appears that while the average cost for a $60 game for retailers is $48, larger publishers charge $50-52 for big releases which is why I have Battlfield 4 and GTAV at $50 and Dark Souls II, a smaller title, at $46.

It wouldn't just be for $60 games though. Indie games and budget titles would also be included.

Sorry it's just not worth it, that doesn't even cover the service charges for currency changes on a credit card.
http://xkcd.com/606/
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#20nameless0101Posted 9/25/2013 6:14:05 AM
I couldn't see this being profitable at all.

You're replying on other digital distribution sites to not take a hit on release for any games which some of them occasionally do.

You would also have really small profit margins as a result of only making $5 a year from each of your customers meaning that you would need huge amounts of customers to make a decent chunk of money.

Not to mention that if someone wants to get a game at launch that desperately they more than likely have no problem playing slightly more to avoid the hassle of going through another service.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool