This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really, really hope that Steam doesn't turn into a casual platform.

#1StormKMDPosted 9/24/2013 3:28:04 PM(edited)
Like iOS or Android or something. I know it's Valve, and they're smarter than the average bear, but there's always the chance that this could screw up. I don't want to have to, well, shovel my way through shovelware games. And I really like Steam, it's a good place to chat with friends while playing games. Good games. And classics. There's also the chance that they just blow Windows out of the whole deal in the future and just tailor to SteamOS users...

I posted this after reading this:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/24/steamos-the-pros-and-cons/
So it might just be the article getting to me.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#2Marioface5Posted 9/24/2013 3:31:01 PM
The fact that Greenlight is already preventing good games from getting released on Steam should be a good sign that they're not going to let the store fill with crap. I would like to see Android games on Steam though, mostly because it would be great with how they allow purchase for on OS count as a purchase for all of them.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#3RetrowirePosted 9/24/2013 3:33:09 PM
I don't see them abandoning any other OS in particular since they seem to be aiming to "Expand their Universe".

That said, I fear this as well. Music? Movies? TV? Come on, Steam has always been awesome when they were the master of one thing, digitally distributed gaming. But now they want to become a jack of all trades and master of none, and that makes me think that the rest of their services could deteriorate in quality.

I don't want to go through shovelware, music, tv or movies in Steam. I like Steam for games. I understand why they want to do this, but I think they'll do it right by giving the consumers a choice of how they want the platform to work.

You know what though? They're running this SteamOS through Linux, and they've been encouraging the idea of open source information and Steam, therefore, if we don't like some things, we'll all have the right to change it! Maybe it won't be so bad after all.
---
Not changing this sig until Flipnote3D is released in NA. Started August/12/13
#4BIGGESTPS3FANPosted 9/24/2013 3:33:22 PM
You already have to sift through a s***load of shovelware if you're just randomly browsing for a game. If you know what you are getting, you can just search. In a way, I guess it's already like iOS or Android stores. :)
---
Intel i5-3570k | Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 x2 | 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Corsair 500R | Corsair HX750 | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 120 GB Intel 520 SSD
#5CC RicersPosted 9/24/2013 3:34:13 PM
The problem with ports of mobile games is, it tends to be a death sentence on Greenlight.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#6daemon_danPosted 9/24/2013 3:35:00 PM
Valve really isn't smarter than the average bear. Which has been proven a fair amount of times. They're like the new Bill Gates. They figured out something that's user-friendly, and that a ton of people would adopt, and it was like opening a money faucet. Their business practices and the way they allow people to work is probably the least successful thing out there. Without the luck of Steam, I really can't see Valve making so damn much money
---
Bekness is more amazing than any game ever <3
#7bluemooglePosted 9/24/2013 3:37:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it becoming a casual platform. From that link, I think the biggest thing to worry about is: "It gives Valve even more power over PC gaming."

I was interested in SteamOS at first, but the more I thought about it, I'm not sure if I like the idea anymore. Sure, SteamOS is more open than Xbox and PS, but it's still its own platform. Unless it supports GOG games, Origin games, etc, it's still a partially closed platform. And it probably won't support those other games, since it wouldn't help Valve any to do so. Then again, a bit part of the announcement was really hammering home the "openness" of SteamOS -- freedom to change hardware and software as one pleases. So maybe if Origin isn't supported out of the box, someone (maybe even EA) will find a way to port it over.

I dunno, a person can think it over in either direction, but it still sounds a lot like turning all of PC gaming into a Valve console. Either way, the point is moot so long as developers continue to support other the PC OS's.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#8Erik212Posted 9/24/2013 3:41:30 PM(edited)
Article, as it itself admits, takes the extremes of the pros and cons.

Too many controller games? Aren't a lot of arguably good games (Mark of the Ninja, Dark Souls, just about every platformer) already very controller focused? I don't see this somehow causing a pivot in genres outside of platformers and third person to suddenly drop keyboard support.

Also, if it's actually Linux, there isn't really a way to restrict things to only Valve stuff, so that's just fearful speculation. I don't know why anyone actually thinks this is an issue. It would be a matter of Origin, etc needing to port their services to Linux, which is what vale is trying to do in the first place if we're talking about the philosophical reasoning Gabe has been talking to us about.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#9NotQuiteAFreakPosted 9/24/2013 3:39:58 PM
Marioface5 posted...
The fact that Greenlight is already preventing good games from getting released on Steam should be a good sign that they're not going to let the store fill with crap. I would like to see Android games on Steam though, mostly because it would be great with how they allow purchase for on OS count as a purchase for all of them.

???
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#10Maiken100Posted 9/24/2013 3:40:33 PM
"Just as developers rushed into mobile and Facebook development, we could see a flood of controller-based Steam games that push niche and classic-style PC games into the slums."

^ This is the main thing that kinda worries me, but it's not like it's abandoning windows so I doubt PC gamers have much to fear.
---
Next Gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJt3TOFUxPs