This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really, really hope that Steam doesn't turn into a casual platform.

#11arleasPosted 9/24/2013 3:44:39 PM
Marioface5 posted...
The fact that Greenlight is already preventing good games from getting released on Steam should be a good sign that they're not going to let the store fill with crap. I would like to see Android games on Steam though, mostly because it would be great with how they allow purchase for on OS count as a purchase for all of them.

???

I'm guessing he's saying that if good games can't make it past greenlight, then bad games don't have a chance... but then again they DID greenlight War Z and Postal 2 and a slew of other crap... Dragons lair? Why would I want to play one long scripted QTE?

Greenlight is flawed, even Gaben thinks so... They're not going to kill it and try something else because they have nothing else (other than going back to manually screening games themselves).
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#12bluemooglePosted 9/24/2013 3:48:56 PM
Erik212 posted...
Also, if it's actually Linux, there isn't really a way to restrict things to only Valve stuff, so that's just fearful speculation. I don't know why anyone actually thinks this is an issue. It would be a matter of Origin, etc needing to port their services to Linux, which is what vale is trying to do in the first place if we're talking about the philosophical reasoning Gabe has been talking to us about.

Fair points. I guess part of what fuels the speculation for me is, the difference between Android and Amazon's version of Android. Technically anything compatible with Android should work with the Kindle HD tablets, but last I've read, they don't have Google Play by default, so it takes a little know-how to get the full Android experience up and running.

There's a chance that Valve might do the same with SteamOS, and make it a little challenging to get the full Linux experience. But you're also right that Gabe has been promoting Linux as the future of computing, so maybe speculating he'd restrict his version of Linux is simply being fearful after all.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#13Erik212Posted 9/24/2013 3:58:08 PM
bluemoogle posted...
Fair points. I guess part of what fuels the speculation for me is, the difference between Android and Amazon's version of Android. Technically anything compatible with Android should work with the Kindle HD tablets, but last I've read, they don't have Google Play by default, so it takes a little know-how to get the full Android experience up and running.

There's a chance that Valve might do the same with SteamOS, and make it a little challenging to get the full Linux experience. But you're also right that Gabe has been promoting Linux as the future of computing, so maybe speculating he'd restrict his version of Linux is simply being fearful after all.

Hmm, I can see what you're saying. An issue with Android is that, long ago, as it was emerging as a mobile OS, its source was closed and it was splintered among the various vendors of mobile devices.

I think that with Linux the environment is more cohesive so being able to make things work on SteamOS should be possible by someone who knows what they are doing, who can then show other people how to do it (assuming the actual developer of the software doesn't just do it themselves). While the current android ecosystem prevents you from porting a piece of software between the different versions due to the versions being too modified by their vendors, for SteamOS it should be more of an issue of getting whatever software to work on the base version of Linux that SteamOS is probably built on, and that's usually just a matter of time and know-how.

I don't know if I just reworded what you said about Amazon's android version but I feel like SteamOS won't behave that way. Also, even installing SteamOS means that whoever uses it at first will have to have some good grasp of technology. Of course we'll only really know when it's released. I'm excited to try it out.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#14QuestofChosenPosted 9/24/2013 4:00:19 PM
Shovelware already exists on Steam. Also some of the greenlight games are really bad.
#15rusty12000Posted 9/24/2013 4:00:48 PM
Personally it wouldn't bother me to see more casual games being put on steam, more games attract more users which just equals more games for the rest of us. if you don't like a certain type of game you don't have to buy it.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#16StormKMD(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 4:11:49 PM
You guys have fair points. Linux could suffice for me personally, I think, I'd just get everything over to my laptop or something that required Windows to work. And I don't really use Origin or the other clients. But, unless all my games can be installed on my PC with SteamOS, then I doubt I'll bother with it.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#17TimePharaohPosted 9/24/2013 4:52:41 PM
Yes I too hope that the hundreds of developers that aren't valve and make up almost the entirety of Steam don't suddenly stop existing too.

10/10 quality topic
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#18JKatarnPosted 9/24/2013 4:56:21 PM
daemon_dan posted...
Valve really isn't smarter than the average bear. Which has been proven a fair amount of times. They're like the new Bill Gates. They figured out something that's user-friendly, and that a ton of people would adopt, and it was like opening a money faucet. Their business practices and the way they allow people to work is probably the least successful thing out there. Without the luck of Steam, I really can't see Valve making so damn much money

I don't think many people equate the #1 digital distributor of PC titles with a failure to succeed. Yes, Valve could do some things better (namely customer support), but they didn't get the publisher/customer support they have for no reason.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES